need to shut off auto aps w/o rooting

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Please take pity on this new android user. I've been through pages of forum posts about shutting off automatically updating aps and almost all seem to suggest rooting. I know nothing about such things and really don't feel like risking my phone, new Galaxy Note, to my ineptitude. I've read and re-read the manual too. I'm hoping someone will help. Yes, I'm sure the answer is probably on here but I couldn't find it, or maybe it went over my head. The problem is I've been watching my data usage and tracked down the extraordinary usage to a slew of aps, all undeleteable and pre-installed by AT&T/Google. I don't want to delete the programs because I may want them at some point, but they're running and updating in the background and using megs. I shut them off within a setting menu and many of them came back later. Most of these aps are things I never even opened. Is there any way to keep these aps from running until *I* want them to? Thanks for any help.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
open up the market on your phone. then hit the menu button, there should be a my apps selection, choose that, then click on each app and there will be a check box for allow automatic updating, uncheck it and you'll be good to go. (you can also do this from your pc) depending on how many apps you've downloaded, it may take a bit of time as you must check each one individually. and you can prevent this from happening in the future, whenever you download a new app and if finishes installing, immediately uncheck the auto update box.

also on your built in apps, check to see if there is a setting within the app that will allow you to change the refresh or update intervals. i.e. facebook, go into settings and change notifications to never, it is going to automatically update anytime you open the app anyway.

Last edited:

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Dont think thats what hes talking about. He means he wants to shut down "start up" apps that refresh in the background using data not authorized by the user. Unfortunately the only thing i know of is to root and then either delete those apps or rewrite permission or use start block app. All of those require root. You could however just turn your data off when your not using it or usr an app like juice defender which will shut down your data automatically when your screen is off. Saves alot of battery too.

Reactions: J HighNote

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dont think thats what hes talking about. He means he wants to shut down "start up" apps that refresh in the background using data not authorized by the user. Unfortunately the only thing i know of is to root and then either delete those apps or rewrite permission or use start block app. All of those require root. You could however just turn your data off when your not using it or usr an app like juice defender which will shut down your data automatically when your screen is off. Saves alot of battery too.
that's true. i'm not sure what all stuff at&t puts on their phones, but verizon puts a ton of crap on their phones and the only ones that would use data are gmail and market. unless of course you actually use some of the other stuff. otherwise they just sit there in the background waiting to be used. i know i saw on here somewhere that there is an app that can tell you what's using the data but i can't remember the name of it. i'll look around and if i can find that post, i link to it.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Please take pity on this new android user. I've been through pages of forum posts about shutting off automatically updating aps and almost all seem to suggest rooting. I know nothing about such things and really don't feel like risking my phone, new Galaxy Note, to my ineptitude. I've read and re-read the manual too. I'm hoping someone will help. Yes, I'm sure the answer is probably on here but I couldn't find it, or maybe it went over my head. The problem is I've been watching my data usage and tracked down the extraordinary usage to a slew of aps, all undeleteable and pre-installed by AT&T/Google. I don't want to delete the programs because I may want them at some point, but they're running and updating in the background and using megs. I shut them off within a setting menu and many of them came back later. Most of these aps are things I never even opened. Is there any way to keep these aps from running until *I* want them to? Thanks for any help.

Sorry HighNote, No way.

Root & Freeze the Apps is the only current way to access the OS Apps & Start up Apps.

They want the bloatware & other data polling the servers to use more data....

Good luck

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate all the advice and I apologize for not being clearer. Yes, it is the start up apps that I think are causing the increase. They are mostly AT&T apps plus social hub, facebook, etc. that I don't use but they seem to ping for updates. Plus the email dedicated icon at the bottom of the screen gets new mail and I can't figure out how to turn that off or change the default account. I put it in airplane mode immediately when I'm done on the net just to try to slow down the data usage. Since I found some things by accident, I was hoping there was a way to get to the equivalent of a control panel. What I wouldn't give for a right mouse click. lol, I guess I have to learn the mystery of "root". Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Root and freeze is one way, root, backup, then delete is another way. Email? You want that to get any new email, or why have it on the phone?

Rooting, if you use a program that's known to work on the Note shouldn't be any problem. (Color me extremely green until I get one.)

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Root and freeze is one way, root, backup, then delete is another way. Email? You want that to get any new email, or why have it on the phone?

Rooting, if you use a program that's known to work on the Note shouldn't be any problem. (Color me extremely green until I get one.)

I did a search on here about rooting and found some great references. One article was extremely well written and at first I thought Okay, I could do this. I have tons of computer experience since the days an upgrade to 128k was a very big deal. Then I read the line where he said he occasionally has to borrow his partner's phone and she laughs at him because his isn't working and it's his fault. I put the brakes back on, figured I'd better look for other solutions. I don't know what other android phones are like but the Note has an icon on it for email and when I first turned it on and it asked for an account to use, I gave it my yahoo account. I get tons of mail there and so every time it auto updated, I'm sure that used some data. Last night I found yet another settings menu and reset that and hit forced stop on the auto start ups. Unfortunately the auto ones are back on this morning so maybe I'll try deleting them and figuring if I every do want that function again, there will be an app for that. I hope you're not extremely green for long. I love the note although part of that enthusiasm has to be because I've always had a much simpler smart phone to just web surf and make calls for the past 15 yrs. This is my first phone that has all this really cool functionality and I feel like a kid with the best toy at Christmas every time I pick it up. I hope your carrier gets it soon.

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
To solve at least the email issue, go into your synch settings and change the frequency with which it checks the email.