Programs Running at Startup

Joe McG

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am brand new to Android and am coming over from an iPhone 3GS...

I just downloaded task manager on my EVO and was horrified to see that practically all the "bloatware" on the phone is running on startup. This includes Sprint Navigation, Sprint Zone, Sprint Football Live, Voice dialer, Peep (which I don't use), FM Radio, etc. Theres a list of like 20 things total.

1. Why would the phone startup with all of these running? This has got to just eat up the battery life.

2. Is there any way to keep this from happening? I'm sure there's a list of programs to run on startup. How can I access it and get some of this crap off of there?

madhoosier357

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I see the same behavior on my evo. I run ATK and kill them, but some come back on their own.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Last edited:

madhoosier357

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ARK, fat finger syndrome strikes again.

Checked running tasks this morning, there a at least 20 thing running. Unless I am using this thing in my sleep, something strange is going on.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I too am seeing the same thing at startup and I was using ATK, but it seemed to drain my battery and also didn't show all apps running, so I got Advanced Task Cleaner 2.0 and it seems to work good except when I end tasks, for some reason some of them want to come back what is up with that, I don't want you running why does it keep coming back???

madhoosier357

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I like that article and I understand what its saying. My problem is there are apps running that I never started: fm radio, mp3 store, music, voice dialer, etc. I never start these and they don't go away no matter how long I wait.

There is definatly something else going on. I don't see why the system would launch these applications on its own as the are not core applications.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
as posguy posted, there really isnt a need for a task killer app, especially if you have a newer device that is equal to or better than the droid. most of the time you will never notice the apps running. if you are using the evo i don't even think that there will be any noticable hiccups due to the ammount of memory it has. i could be wrong but if my droid doesn't experience any lag in the beginning then i would assume the evo would not either.

a solution to the unnecessary bloat-ware is to root your device and then get the app "root explorer" and just delete those apps. be careful you do not delete important files though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress