Root my US Cell Galaxy S 2.3.4

3-K

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Oops, accidentally posted this as my greeting so am re-posting here.

First and foremost I am the absolute newbie. I just found out today that Android is Linux based.

Ya, that new.

So, I am thinking about rooting my US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S running 2.3.4. My main reason for wanting to do this is to install Avast security and remove the incredibly annoying Google and Samsung?apps?that I want off my phone.?
Little background on me, I freaking hate windows, but am still forced to use it on my pc because I don't know enough (meaning anything) about Linux to switch, and being stuck using windows based programs for my business. But over the years I have learned (mostly by trail and massive error) to shut down the worst of windows invasive options. I would also like to do this with Android.

First, my Android upgrade came with a huge warning that this upgrade is for US Cell users ONLY. It will not work with any other carrier's Galaxy S.?
Second, can a newbie like me figure out how to delete those annoying programs I want gone.
Third, if this does brick my phone, do I have a chance in Hell of un-bricking it?

Thank you for any and all help!
3-K

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you taken a look at xda-developers.com? I was going to give you an link, but there's like 4 different Galaxy S forums, so you'll have to see which applies to you. When you find it, there is a wealth of information pertaining to rooting and custon ROMs.

3-K

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info paz!

Unfortunately they don't list my phone but digging through the site I eventually found a link to Superoneclick, a program that is supposed to make it very easy to root your phone.
The newest version, of course:confused:, doesn't seem to work on my phone at this time so if anybody else has any info I would love to hear it.

3-K

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I as stated first, I'm new....
and apparently an idiot.
I didn't realize (open my eyes) that there is an entire section dedicated to my phone.
Sorry for the trouble and thank you for everything.

(psst...Admin, please delete this embarrassing @#$%#@! post):p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty