How to "Merge Contacts" - WebOS Style?

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used a Pre for a while but haven't had it in some time. I seem to remember that you could merge contacts into a single entity...in other words, if you have multiple contact entries for the same person, you could merge them into a single entry. That way, you would be consolidating all of their information into a single place.

Is this possible to do on the Evo? I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can do it from Google Contacts in a web browser. I haven't found a way to do it on the device.

But it's simple to do in the browser. Just click boxes next to the contacts you want to merge and pick which name to show (if they are different) and will combine all of the contact info into one contact.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the fast replies. I knew that my Gmail contacts got pulled into the Evo, but I didn't realize that my Evo contact list was pushed back to Gmail! WOW...I don't care if this is old news, that is great. Thanks for the help Darth Mo!

Gekko - Thanks also, but I don't use Facebook. I thought I was the only one until South Park had that episode a couple months ago...I love that show.

I just have so many contacts that have more than one email address or I spelled their name wrong on an old device, etc. Only problem is that now I have to get off of my Evo and go do something on a "computer". Damnit.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Gekko - Thanks, that makes sense now but I could not find where it said "LINK" anywhere. I found the "LINK" symbol at the top right hand corner of the screen, and that absolutely did the trick. The symbol kind of looks like Pacman...sort of. I wouldn't mind knowing if there really is a place where it actually says "Link" though.

On another note, and I may have to start a new thread for this unless someone can help me on this one...The contacts I have in my phone that I loaded from my previous device are not showing up in my gmail account in my browser. Is there a way to force push them into Gmail or should it be happening automatically?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can try:

Settings -> Accounts & Sync

Then you can set it up to sync automatically or initiate a manual sync.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Accts and Sync in settings and made sure everything is set up properly, but I am still having trouble. Maybe I am doing something wrong or I am overlooking something.

- I have the Evo synced to my Gmail account, it is set up to auto-sync (per the Evo settings page) and I have manually done it several times this morning
- My Evo has all of my Gmail contacts loaded, and I have successfully linked contacts together where necessary (through the Evo's People app)
- When using my laptop, my Gmail account does not show all of the contacts that are loaded in my phone.

So my problem is that the Evo received the list of contacts from Gmail, but Gmail hasn't received the list of contacts from the phone. I would like my gmail contacts list to match exactly with my phone's and reflect the links, phone numbers, etc that I edit on the Evo. Supposedly this happens automatically, but I am not seeing it. My understanding of "sync" is that the device and the web-based gmail system would constantly update one another.

Am I missing something?

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Another update for anyone who is interested, I spent more time on this and came up with a solution that works for me.

1. When to the People app on my Evo - Menu - Import/Export - Export to SD Card
2. Connected Evo to computer via USB
3. Opened Gmail on computer browser, used the Contacts Import tool and imported the file that I created in step 1
4. Now my Gmail contacts had EVERYTHING, which gave me many duplicates. Used the gmail Duplicates tool to merge/link some contacts, and manually found the rest.
5. I went back to the Evo, and synced again
6. On the Evo, go to People - Menu - View. I unchecked everything except "Google". This way, the only contacts I see are the ones in Google.

Now, this is going to cause me problems when/if I start adding contacts directly to my phone....but this will at least work in the short term. I rarely add a contact or a phone number to my phone anyway, so it isn't too big of a deal for me personally. Being married, etc, limits my "getting numbers" activities!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez