is there a way to set a boot password like a BIOS password on PCs

j9067

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to android but just used the guides at this forum to root my LG Optimus V. I was wondering if now that I have root there is a way to install a boot password similar to the one I have on my computer. Before it loads the operating system, the BIOS asks for a password. Is there any similar functionality for android?

Also, is this possible on other devices even if it is not on mine? It's one of my favorite laymen security measures.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: is there a way to set a boot password like a BIOS password on

Not in the sense that the password only comes up when you turn the phone on from a cold start.

You can set pattern and PIN passwords that you have to put in every time you unlock the phone from a screen off state.

The Pattern/PIN passwords are much more secure than a "bios" password that only comes up when you start the phone from a cold start. With these phones you never really turn them off unless they have locked up and need to be rebooted.

Hope this helps.

Ambika_Maggu

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

All you can do here is draw pattern which can be set as a lock or you can set a pin code...

As of now this is the most basic form of security you can give to your android phone...

There are more certain basic things you can do to protect your smartphone..

For that this link would be helpful.. Time to secure that Smartphone you have | Rapidsoft Technologies

Hope this information helps.

Regards
Ambika

Aizad363

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Not in the sense that the password only comes up when you turn the phone on from a cold start.

You can set pattern and PIN passwords that you have to put in every time you unlock the phone from a screen off state.

The Pattern/PIN passwords are much more secure than a "bios" password that only comes up when you start the phone from a cold start. With these phones you never really turn them off unless they have locked up and need to be rebooted.

Hope this helps.

The pattern/pin not working if the phone stolen. They can send to shop and reset the phone using boot menu. We need a password before boot menu. So if my phone stolen, they cant reset my phone to factory setting. So we have time to detect our phone if possible