Question How to boot directly into restricted user profile?

Optis

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Since FBE (File Based Encyption) is mandatory on Android 13 and I do not have an option to disable it, how do I make my device boot straight into a restricted user profile? Because I cannot choose which user to load without entering "admin" pass/PIN/pattern.

Device is Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 (running Android 13), and everything works like a charm restricted on that profile except one small issue, if I restart it, I am forced to enter admin user password and only then choose to load restricted user profile. Is there a way to avoid that? Say when I restart and can use the device with the restricted user but not admin.

Reactions: Amthebigdog

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy this new from an authorized retailer? If so, you shouldn't be having this issue. If you bought it used or from an unauthorized source (I.e. A refurbisher), then it sounds like this was a former business use tablet for it to have an MDM service on it. If that's the case, I would see if you can exchange/return it or you may be lucky and know which company owned it prior to have them remove the software (assuming they are willing).

Optis

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Did you buy this new from an authorized retailer? If so, you shouldn't be having this issue. If you bought it used or from an unauthorized source (I.e. A refurbisher), then it sounds like this was a former business use tablet for it to have an MDM service on it. If that's the case, I would see if you can exchange/return it or you may be lucky and know which company owned it prior to have them remove the software (assuming they are willing).
You got me wrong. I got couple new devices I need to hand out to my fellow colleagues but be it limited to couple apps only and the restricted user profile option serves just fine this case. It is just they are going to be locked out from using it if they reboot (say forget to charge) the device. And I wish to not share admin password to get them full access.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You got me wrong. I got couple new devices I need to hand out to my fellow colleagues but be it limited to couple apps only and the restricted user profile option serves just fine this case. It is just they are going to be locked out from using it if they reboot (say forget to charge) the device. And I wish to not share admin password to get them full access.
Oh, my mistake. Usually it's the other way around.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think I understand what you're asking.

Does this help?

There's options adding a user and adding a restricted user.

Samsung phones do not offer the option for multiple profiles/users like other manufacturers do. But supposedly their tablets do.

Optis

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
I think I understand what you're asking.

Does this help?

There's options adding a user and adding a restricted user.

Samsung phones do not offer the option for multiple profiles/users like other manufacturers do. But supposedly their tablets do.
I have added restricted users, yes. Every time you lock/unlock device you get an option bubble in the corner to choose which user (admin or restricted to load). But this does not appear after rebooting tablet, it requires admin password beforehand.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have added restricted users, yes. Every time you lock/unlock device you get an option bubble in the corner to choose which user (admin or restricted to load). But this does not appear after rebooting tablet, it requires admin password beforehand.
I see. Does seem useless then. Sounds like you do need some kind of paid MDM solution.

Unless someone else has a better idea.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately you can't , it's the same way on my pixel that's because Android security feature it defaults to admin until you open the device again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Eh.. shame. Do not want to root devices yet as they are brand new and under warranty. Will look into Miradore or something to lock unwanted and whitelist necessary apps.
Maybe look into settings>advanced features>side button >change power off to something different? So it won't restart not sure if it does the same in the other users account but test it out
c6a103d1e7e6eab3bee66f1f41b3a9ba.jpg

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
Since FBE (File Based Encyption) is mandatory on Android 13 and I do not have an option to disable it, how do I make my device boot straight into a restricted user profile? Because I cannot choose which user to load without entering "admin" pass/PIN/pattern.

Device is Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 (running Android 13), and everything works like a charm restricted on that profile except one small issue, if I restart it, I am forced to enter admin user password and only then choose to load restricted user profile. Is there a way to avoid that? Say when I restart and can use the device with the restricted user but not admin.
Oh nice question. Would this be the wrong spot to ask what a restricted user profile is and does? Or is this something I should research on my own? I've have never heard of it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The original post refers to android 13. Do I need a device running this to look into it or are 11 and 12 good to check it out and it is fully used in 13. Does that make sense?
Restricted user on some devices can be called guest mode where in that mode if someone uses it doesn't have administrator privilege to change the devices settings or gain access to the main account on the device. Lot of Android have this feature but not all default.

Another thing similar is a work enterprise to keep employees from changing settings that at a job , School etc.. even a mode called kids mode for parents to control what younger kids can access.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000