Gmail archives and Universal Inbox

EMW220

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, this my first post to the Android Central forums, sorry if this question has been addressed, but I can't find the answer. I am a member of two composer-related listservs but the constant emails (and notifications from my phone of these emails) are starting to get unbearable. However, some of the emails are notices about valuable contests or calls for scores. So in Gmail, I set up a filter that will put these messages in an archive and not directly to the inbox or the trash. It seems to be working great on my desktop Outlook, BlackBerry PlayBook inbox, and on my Droid Razr's Gmail app, however all of the messages are still in the Universal Inbox, and it seems to have moved all previously unread emails from the listservs back to the inbox.

I prefer using Universal Inbox to 3 separate email apps and since the Gmail app won't sync to Universal Inbox, I had to add my Gmail info to the Universal app and turn off notifications from the separate Gmail app, but apparently the Universal app can't separate inbox and archived messages.

Anyone have a similar problem/find a solution? Is this issue addressed in Ice Cream Sandwich (if so, I'll just wait for that update and not worry about it)?

Thanks!
Evan

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The Gmail filter features do not work in the stock email app. That's why you are seeing everything there. You may need to use the Gmail and Stock app separately to get the notices you want.

Reactions: EMW220

mrk2010

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Hm, I was able to use a filter to archive and label emails. The label name will be under a folder in the Messaging app. You have to go to the inbox for the specific account in order to see these labels or folders.

Do you have IMAP turned on in Gmail? (in the web based Gmail, go to Settings > Fowarding and POP/IMAP). That could be a reason why the previous emails aren't being removed from your inbox.

EMW220

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Hm, I was able to use a filter to archive and label emails. The label name will be under a folder in the Messaging app. You have to go to the inbox for the specific account in order to see these labels or folders.

Do you have IMAP turned on in Gmail? (in the web based Gmail, go to Settings > Fowarding and POP/IMAP). That could be a reason why the previous emails aren't being removed from your inbox.

Hmm... yes IMAP is enabled in Gmail (I wouldn't have been able to access my email at all through my PlayBook, Outlook, or previous phones if it hadn't been on though, right?)

And going to the Folders only shows Inbox, Trash, Outbox, and Sent. I also don't see the option in Change view or Email Settings. I probably will have to go back to the the regular Gmail app then... It's a shame, BIS and the unified inbox are the only thing I miss about my old BlackBerry...

Thanks for the help anyway!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall