Archived texts in Google Messages remaining in archive folder with new messages

diverjer

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
Same problem but not always. Sometimes new message goes directly to archive. Then I have some that add to archive message and moves to where it should have been. First time drove me nuts, heard special ring tone for a message from family and nothing there. Finely I checked archive and there it was. Also noticed new way you have to get to archive message- there has been an update with a problem. I use to slid left to right on screen and get to archive. Now I have to press blue circle with head or something in circle and then get a menu of which archive is an option. No more sliding left to right.

garybarr

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Same problem here and been happening off and on all year. I've missed some very important texts because I thought I heard an alert, but there was nothing in my text messages... not knowing it appeared in the archived texts.

Has ANYONE had luck fixing this and it staying fixed?

Tom Hallman

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I've run into this problem multiple times over the past decade.

Each time, I've tried everything I could think of to fix it. In the end, I've always ended up backing up my texts, uninstalling Messages, and then experiencing the pains that @memyselfandi referenced earlier. I usually watch a movie while re-archiving everything (swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe...)

Every time this happens, I search around, find posts like this one, get my hopes up, and nothing works.

Who knows? Maybe this time will be different. But I'm not optimistic.

One correction / update to what @memyselfandi shared: you CAN search by unread. Just click the search (magnifying glass), then tap "Unread".

Chuckg24

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Same issue. They reappear when I reply, but for now I have to check my archived messages daily at least to make sure I don't miss something. Seems to have started a month or so ago for me.