Do not disturb feature

OhhhSnapSir

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Need some clarification. I just moved from an iphone to galaxy nexus this isnt my first walk around the block with an android device. I got the Evo when it first came out and it had a feature for all data notifications called do not disturb which was preset pre and released Froyo.

Ive alway thought this was a nice feature bc i could go to bed and not put my phone on airplane mode in case of emergency calls. When i finally got the nexus and it updated to 4.0.4, ive searched all over ICS for the current feature but cant turn anything up.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You might be interested in looking at something like Tasker or Setting Profiles, which will allow Do Not Disturb and so much more. Just some examples of what I have (I'm using Setting Profiles)

1. Phone is silent from 10:30pm to 6:30am, unless my parents, my wife, or my boss calls, or if I get an email from one of our servers at work (indicating a backup failed or the server is down)
  2. Phone is silent if my calendar indicates I'm in a meeting
  3. Phone is silent if I'm at one of the 5 movie theaters I frequent
  4. My work schedule is eratic, so when I leave work, my wife gets sent an automatic text message, and also gets sent another text when I am about 10 minutes from home (specifically when I reach a specific intersection on my commute home).
  5. Phone goes into night mode at 8:30pm (reduced brightness, quieter ring volume) and then back to day mode at 6:30.
  6. I have different phone profiles set up, so if I'm at the office, I have a "work" profile that has productivity widgets and apps prominent, as well more professional ringtones and wallpaper. When I'm not at the office, my phone is set up more for entertainment. These profiles automatically switch based on my location.

I have a lot more set up, but you get the idea. The price plus the time to set the profiles up is well worth it when your smart phone becomes an intelligent phone. It's nice to not have to remember to silence my phone when I'm at the movies or in a meeting...phone just does it for me and I don't have to think about it.

AFAIK, iOS doesn't have anything like it. I suspect they don't give devs that level of access to the OS to allow it.

Reactions: OhhhSnapSir
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Tasker is so hard to set up though IMHO.
There are apps out there and Tasker is a good one.
With the nexus it has NFC so you could buy NFC tags and do what I do. Tap the phone against the tag and it changes your settings and in the morning it will toggle them back when you tag the phone.
I need a task for work to mute everything since we can't use it at work.....

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Tasker is so hard to set up though IMHO.
There are apps out there and Tasker is a good one.
With the nexus it has NFC so you could buy NFC tags and do what I do. Tap the phone against the tag and it changes your settings and in the morning it will toggle them back when you tag the phone.
I need a task for work to mute everything since we can't use it at work.....

Well, I use Setting Profiles, and other than being a bit time consuming, it was easy. NFC tags (and having to manually scan them) defeat the entire "automatic" processing that I want....like the stuff I mention above about automatically texting my wife on my commute home or silencing my phone when I have a meeting or go to the movies. Doesn't require any intervention on my part (other than the initial configuration).

OhhhSnapSir

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I will def look into this. The first example you listed is exactly what i want to do. I really dont know why they took this feature out.
You might be interested in looking at something like Tasker or Setting Profiles, which will allow Do Not Disturb and so much more. Just some examples of what I have (I'm using Setting Profiles)

1. Phone is silent from 10:30pm to 6:30am, unless my parents, my wife, or my boss calls, or if I get an email from one of our servers at work (indicating a backup failed or the server is down)
  2. Phone is silent if my calendar indicates I'm in a meeting
  3. Phone is silent if I'm at one of the 5 movie theaters I frequent
  4. My work schedule is eratic, so when I leave work, my wife gets sent an automatic text message, and also gets sent another text when I am about 10 minutes from home (specifically when I reach a specific intersection on my commute home).
  5. Phone goes into night mode at 8:30pm (reduced brightness, quieter ring volume) and then back to day mode at 6:30.
  6. I have different phone profiles set up, so if I'm at the office, I have a "work" profile that has productivity widgets and apps prominent, as well more professional ringtones and wallpaper. When I'm not at the office, my phone is set up more for entertainment. These profiles automatically switch based on my location.

I have a lot more set up, but you get the idea. The price plus the time to set the profiles up is well worth it when your smart phone becomes an intelligent phone. It's nice to not have to remember to silence my phone when I'm at the movies or in a meeting...phone just does it for me and I don't have to think about it.

AFAIK, iOS doesn't have anything like it. I suspect they don't give devs that level of access to the OS to allow it.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I will def look into this. The first example you listed is exactly what i want to do. I really dont know why they took this feature out.

Was it ever a feature? I know you can set up profiles (like a night profile) but it's not as robust as what I'm talking about.

So you are using a gps feature correct because what happens if you leave work later than normal, etc.?

Yes, and that's why I have it set up. My work schedule is pretty eratic, so I can end up leaving anytime from 3 to 6 (or later)....so I have a rule set up that it sends her a a text when I leave the building and it's after 3:00 (I include the time because then it doesn't send the text when I go to lunch or I have a meeting during the day that's at another location)

Then it sends another text when I am about 10 minutes away (again, determined by GPS location). I actually have that set up in two locations since if there's traffic, I go a different way home, so it'll still send the text....just when I reach a different location.

It's not 100% perfect, since if I go to happy hour with the guys after work, it still sends the first text, but that's not a big deal to me. It lets her know I've left the office anyways.

Again, I use Setting Profiles, but I think Tasker does pretty much the same thing (I just started with Setting Profiles when I got my phone 2 years ago so I have the time invested already setting the stuff up). It did take awhile to learn how to manage things, but not too bad. But it's nice to have my phone just do things automatically for me and I don't have to worry about remembering to silence my phone and stuff (at least in my normal every day life).

netfront

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this post is a little old now although there is an app available on Google Play called On Call . You can check out features on the developers website which is available at oncallapp.net. It's easy to use and provides exactly what you're after. :)

2003summit

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been using "MyProfiles" to do this. I was missing the sound profiles feature and the bedside mode feature from the black berry. I just put the people I wanted to hear from in groups and made a profile that would set the phone the way I wanted with the groups as exceptions. You can make as many profiles as you want and can use them for all kinds of things. It has many of the features of the more complicated apps but it's very easy to use. I have a bed side mode that comes on when I plug into the charger at night, or I can activate it any time I want (going into a meeting or something). I made other profiles like "silent", "loud", "normal", etc. I believe it also supports the turn over trigger so you can just turn the phone over and active a profile. You make your profiles then you make "rules" to activate the profile based on certain triggers, or you just manually active the profile.