Wifi, but no internet

tehzan

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I got a new Galaxy player today and cannot connect to the internet. The problem seems to be with the way my router is set up, because I can go to the router settings through my device. I have tried using a static ip address, but I may have done it wrong. My router is a Linksys E3000

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
First - Power Cycle the router.

Are you trying to connect through the "Guest" network?

Also make sure you're connecting to the 2.4 rather than the 5ghz network.

Finally, double check your Encryption. You may want to try using WPA/WPA2 rather then just WPA2.

tehzan

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
First - Power Cycle the router.

I tried this and it didn't work

Are you trying to connect through the "Guest" network?

Nope

Also make sure you're connecting to the 2.4 rather than the 5ghz network.

How do I tell which one I am connecting to?

Finally, double check your Encryption. You may want to try using WPA/WPA2 rather then just WPA2.

Both 2.4 and the 5ghz are set to WPA/WPA2, is this an issue?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, but the password is case-sensitive. Are you absolutely certain that you're entering it correctly? (And that you have the correct encryption, usually TKIP or TKIP+AES?)

BTW, it's either WEP or WPA2, it can't be both. And (I'm not familiar with that particular router) it should be WPA2-Personal if you have that choice.

Maybe the router is set to WPA2 and the phone is trying to use WEP, or the other way around? That'll never work. It has to be the same mode and, in the case of WPA2 (which is what you should be using - WEP can be broken by a child in 10 seconds), the same algorithm(s) and the same shared key. I've almost never seen a case of "connection but no internet access" that was caused by anything other than a mismatch in that area, and I've been doing this professionally since wifi came out.