Question Suddenly can't obtain IP address on shared wifi -- possible issue with previous day's hotspot tethering?

Owen2503

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,

After having no problems with the apartment wifi where I am staying in Thailand for three days, yesterday I suddenly could not obtain an IP address and got the IP configuration failure message. I've run through the usual troubleshooting fixes -- restart phone, flight mode, change name of phone, static IP address, clear Google services cache, but nothing works. All I have left to do now I think is to ask the apartment to reset the router and then the nuclear option -- the factory reset for my phone. I'm on good terms with the staff so they will probably do the router reset for me but if that doesn't work, then I'm stumped.

The thing I'm wondering about is whether this IP address issue was related to the hotspot tethering session I did the previous day. Yesterday, I used a 4G network on my phone and then tethered my laptop to it in order to do some banking which required better security than the shared wifi network. I've done a brief search but haven't found anything yet on the possible consequences of tethering to network access and IP addresses. But is it possible that by creating a wifi network for my laptop, the hotel router is now confused about my IP address and thus has locked me out?

Thanks in advance.

My vitals:
Android v. 11
Moto g power (purchased new)
local Thai SIM card
SD card installed

Owen2503

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
Well, that was interesting. Now my wifi access has returned without me having done anything. I guess that means it was a router issue, possibly related to too many IP addresses or their system just needing a reboot. Who knows.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Owen2503

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
Seems like a pesky Wi-Fi issue you're facing. Tethering usually shouldn't mess with your apartment's Wi-Fi settings, but it's worth checking with the staff to reset the router just to rule out any issues there.

Before going for the factory reset, have you tried "forgetting" the apartment's Wi-Fi network on your phone and then reconnecting? Sometimes, that can help in resolving IP address conflicts. Also, you could try restarting the router yourself by unplugging it for a minute and then plugging it back in.

If none of these steps work, the factory reset might be the last resort. It's a hassle, I know, but sometimes it's the only way to fix persisting issues.
Yes, it did the forgetting move many times along with all the other usual fixes. Yes, I could restart the router on my floor on my own. I have done that on previous occasions in Thailand. Generally the internet and phone connectivity is top notch here, although it can vary a lot when it comes down to individual hotels and apartments.

I fear the factory reset of course but maybe I shouldn't. I was reading that there are now more ways to easily recover your data with Google.

Owen2503

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
Just a follow-up to my previous posts. While the wifi magically returned the next morning, it went out again later that afternoon. I talked to the owner and was with him when he rebooted the router for the whole building. That worked. But then today, I lost wifi on my phone once again.

I think what is happening is that I lose it if I leave the building while leaving wifi on on my phone. Because this morning I stepped out to get a coffee with the wifi on my phone. I came back 10 mins later and the wifi didn't connect. I wonder what would happen if I turned off the wifi before I leave the building and then turn it back on only when I'm back in my apartment. I don't think it's supposed to work that way, but that could be a workaround.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos