Auto switch from aux to BT while streaming music...

djs134

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
jic this has been covered somewhere before, I apologize in advance. I've tried searching for the answer to this and haven't found an answer......

Until recently, I had a BB Storm2. When I would stream Pandora (via the aux port and headphone jack) while driving and received a call, Pandora would pause and the call would be routed to my Jawbone BT.

Now I have an S3 (and loving it!) with ICS. Although Pandora will pause, the audio seems to remain routed through the aux headset and not to the BT headset.

I can hear the call ring notification via the BT headset, but once the call is answered, there is no apparent BT functionality.

I've tried to search through the settings for phone, BlueTooth and Pandora and have found nothing that seems to help.

Anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

thanks, :confused:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the AUX overrides the BT. As that is a physical connection, I'm not really sure that there is going to be any setting to switch that. Too bad you don't have your phone hooked up to your car or something via BT, then it wouldn't be a problem. :p I hope someone has an answer for you, but, I'm leery they will.

Also, you are sure the BT headset receives sound when it's not plugged into the AUX, right? Had to ask. ;)

djs134

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, you are sure the BT headset receives sound when it's not plugged into the AUX, right? Had to ask. ;)

Certainly a legitimate question.... Yep, the BT does indeed work when the headphone jack isn't being used. I can even answer the call via the BT by touching the answer call button on the headset, but the audio (in or out) doesn't activate.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. My guess is unless you can find an app that somehow overrides the AUX, I'm gonna say you are out of luck. I can't imagine where there would be a setting for that. And, like I said. Since AUX is a hard connection it is simpler and probably overrides other audio output methods.

But, maybe someone else will chime in with some advice.

Last thing I can think of is have you tried a different model of BT headset entirely?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are some security "things" with the BT headset setup in Android, so that might keep anyone from writing an app that can force aux output to the BT. But how about just listening to Pandora over the BT headset? I do that for other radio apps (mainly NPR apps), and can make or answer calls with no problem with the audio. (Of course, since BT is pretty much vendor hardware, that may differ from phone to phone.)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I assumed since they were using AUX that they wanted to play it through their car speakers. Not sure if that's the case, but, seems like a good assumption. If it is the case, I doubt they are going to want to use a BT headset. :p

Also, NPR rocks. :D

djs134

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
But how about just listening to Pandora over the BT headset? I do that for other radio apps (mainly NPR apps), and can make or answer calls with no problem with the audio. (Of course, since BT is pretty much vendor hardware, that may differ from phone to phone.)

I assumed since they were using AUX that they wanted to play it through their car speakers. Not sure if that's the case, but, seems like a good assumption. If it is the case, I doubt they are going to want to use a BT headset. :p
:D

Listening to Pandora through a Jawbone BT earbud wouldn't really cut it... I'd much rather listen to the music via the car speakers.

It appears in this case BB has a better system than Android... unless I find a solution.....:'(

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't even use BT anymore. When a call comes in and I'm driving, I just answer it and the phone is smart enough to output the call to the speakers and turn on my mic for input as though I was on speaker phone. I don't have to change anything at all, just press answer.

djs134

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I find that the Jawbone BT sounds better for those on the other end. The road noise and general "open air" sound that I get through using the car's BT makes the Jawbone a much useful option.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I gotcha. I don't talk much on the phone, even less in the car. I have asked a couple of people if there was a problem with the sound, and, no one has reported there was. But, I'm sure the quality with the headset is going to be better.

When you get a call, you could try unplugging the AUX, then answer the call. That might work. I know it's an extra step and annoying, but, it's worth a shot.

djs134

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have to field at least a few calls while driving since I spend quite a bit of time in the car for my job.

Devinator, you're right, removing the AUX jack to answer calls does work. Just seems to diminish the safety aspect of BT/Hands Free if I'm removing and replacing a 2.5 mm jack at 75 mph....:-[

I still can't believe that we're all not just missing a setting or two....... :eek:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, okay, I gotcha.

Yea, I understand. At least you can remove it quickly without looking, and, when you are in a safe position, you can plug it back in. That's the best I got right now.

We very well could be. But, the thread has only been up for several days. Ya never know who will come in and post an answer. And, if you figure something out, make sure to come back and let us know!!

djs134

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all of the responses and suggestions I've gotten. I'm sure I'm letting my annoyance at my inability to find the setting (that I'm sure is there) show through.

I'm sure we'll find a definitive answer, one way or the other. And if I find it outside of AC, I'll certainly post it here.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting and offering suggestions. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38