How Can I Root Generic Tablet?

JonnyDollar77

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a generic Chinese tablet running Android 4.0.4. The only branding I can find on the box says "MID". The model number in the about screen is RK701.

Does anyone know how I can get the info needed to root this device? I am attaching a photo of it.

-JD

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Does it run stock Android or is there a skin on it. My guess is that if a manufacturer is selling a generic tablet and they didn't bother to put any kind of skin or branding on the software (i.e. it's running stock Android) then they probably didn't bother to encrypt the bootloader.

If that's the case (stock Android with an unencrypted bootloader) you should be able to follow the instructions for rooting any of the Nexus devices. But I have to admit, that I'm making a lot of assumptions and guessing.

Since it's a generic tablet you probably won't find any custom ROMs. Again, I'm guessing you only option will be to root the stock OS.

JonnyDollar77

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the information. How do I know if it is running stock Android?

If it is then I should be able to flash Jelly Bean on it correct?

I know these are elementary questions, but I've not ventured into the rooting/ROMing world before.

-JD

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the information. How do I know if it is running stock Android?

If it is then I should be able to flash Jelly Bean on it correct?

I know these are elementary questions, but I've not ventured into the rooting/ROMing world before.

-JD

I'm pretty new to the flashing scene myself, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think it's that simple. A ROM (even a stock one) has to be built for the device. Even if the OS is stock there are kernels that control the interaction between the OS and the hardware. Those kernals would have to be released by the manufacturer (which technically they are required by law to do) and then used when a ROM is built for that tablet. Being a generic unbranded tablet, I doubt there is much developer support for it (for things like building ROMs, etc), so I think the best you'll be able to do is to root the OS that's already running. And that's assuming that the bootloader is unlockable.

I think your best bet is to google the model number (e.g. RK701 rooting) and see what you can find. Alternatively you could try to unlock the bootloader the standard nexus way: set up drivers, set up ADB and fastboot, boot into bootloader, and give the command "fastboot OEM unlock". I know for a noob (no offense) that might sound overwhelming, but it's actually really simple. I only dived in a few months ago.

But now that I type those steps, I'm wondering if you'll have any problems getting the drivers setup (probably not) and figuring out how to boot into the bootloader (possibly).

Step #1 is always the same ... research, research, research.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
@Jean15Paul: you are absolutely right. even if you flash it building from AOSP there will be ton of issues and the basic wifi/audio/BT/ touch wont even work.

I also recommend unlocking bootloader the nexus way but let me tell you its not gauranteed to work. not sure where to get the drivers for windows either but you can give it a try.

here is a detailed guide I made for generic Nexus device. you can try it out.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...er-factory-restore-root-any-nexus-device.html

terrellhodge

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if iam in the rite place but I just got a 7 inch 4gb wifi gsensor front camra usb hdmi tablet for christmas was sapost to be 4.0 but its 4.0.4 and when I turn it off and back on it preforms master reset then its in chinese and internal storage is full all it shows is 39mb in app storage used I whent to bootloader and tried update from sd and it said no room on device.....what can I do?

Last edited:

Jhonlouie Follante

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I just bought a MID tablet with a model number of JQ8D. I'm having a problem in rooting. I tried checking the links shared however my problem is that I dontot have volume keys in my tablet which I think is needed in rooting. Please help

HaleCaezar

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry?.7z (4,14 MB) - uploaded.to use Bin4ry Root and Restore. It worked like a charm on my MID tablet (after an exhaustive search!) Mediatek ICS 4.04 single core

how in the world we're you able to search for it? I'm really curious. I'm using an OPlus 7.1 Tablet and I'm really new to this. I'm a new Android user as well. Really curious to root my device, but I have to know that it will work the first try. I'm doing my own research as well with my device but since it's new to the market, I can't find any related posts

dykarn

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone tried rooting a MID tablet model 97M RK2918?
I can't find any forums or treads anywhere about this tablet.

Please help!

Jane Bond

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry?.7z (4,14 MB) - uploaded.to use Bin4ry Root and Restore. It worked like a charm on my MID tablet (after an exhaustive search!) Mediatek ICS 4.04 single core
Hello, I'm new here, but I need your help with this. I also have this MID ANDROId tablet, but mine has stopped working and there is this message "Failed to recover system, system halted."
My younger brother was watching a movie on it and it stopped, and he was foolish enough to take out the SD card. So the SD card is formatted now.
Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?
Can I use the file that you uploaded to root and restore my tablet?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well you could try the ics universal root method over at xda. It's supposed to root any device running running ics.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here, but I need your help with this. I also have this MID ANDROId tablet, but mine has stopped working and there is this message "Failed to recover system, system halted."
My younger brother was watching a movie on it and it stopped, and he was foolish enough to take out the SD card. So the SD card is formatted now.
Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?
Can I use the file that you uploaded to root and restore my tablet?

You would have to do a factory reset by booting into stock recovery and clicking factory reset. Unfortunately I don't know how to on your tablet, although a quick Google search or the owners manual could tell you.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

gm1mqe

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am also having problems in rooting my tablet. It shows type in settings as F101A. With superoneclick it wants to force a driver as it cant seem to find the correct one and tries to load a generic one. Does anyone know how to root this or any suggestions.

Thanks, Andy GM1MQE

Mizuki Haruno

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
OK Maybe I'm a complete noob (or is it newbie) on this but that zip file doesn't really come with instructions... Do I just run the thing?

Btw I'm trying to root and flash an MID N900D android tablet 9 inches running Android 4.2.2

Edit:

Well I'm an impatient person and the tablet wasn't that expensive. The Batch file did nothing however. It wouldn't root the tablet at least. Can someone please help?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969