Should I get a better router?

manueljoshua

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I recently decided to test my terrible wifi speeds. It peaked at two megabits per second. And that's without my bro gaming. So this speed definitely can't support both of us gaming and the various other devices miscellaneous uses...

I've been wondering, could it be my router that's slowing things down? Its over 5 years old...

Anyways, what are your thoughts, and tips for speeding up my connection?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If your looking for a router check out Amped Wireless. Good luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An 802.11G router supports 54mbps (all 5, 6 or even 7 year old routers are at least that good). Your provider limits the actual speed between you and them. The only way to increase that speed is to buy more speed from your provider.

That said, most internet connections won't run at more than 1mbps, due to the fact that the backbone (the "internet") isn't any faster. So if all you have are two devices you should be just about at the limit of where you'd notice a speed drop. (IOW, even with a 50mbps connection, if all that's going on is you and your brother each running one game, you won't be using more than 2mbps.)

But no router will give you more speed than your provider is giving you, as far as speed between your computer and the internet. (A faster router will speed up connections between your computer and your brother's computer, say for file transfers. But a cheap SD card will still beat any router.)

So should you buy a new router? I wouldn't. You won't gain anything as far as speed goes. (You might gain a USB port, a printer port, an NAS connection ... all sorts of things, but not speed.)

If you do buy a router, though (because your current one dies, or some other reason), I'd stick with Linksys or dLink. They work. (Other "Trend-y" and similar products tend to be worth as much as oats that have already been through the horse.)

Reactions: manueljoshua

manueljoshua

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Rukbat,
Thank you for your reply,

I think I understand my situation better now. Plus I had a good laugh at the end there...

Thanks again,

- Joshua

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm getting good service with Cox no contracts 10 -15 down 10 up and I get it through my roughter that's 3 years oldan old d link I got @ office depot for 30 dollars and its even faster on my PC if you got Cox in your area ask for the perfeard package :)

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty