Switching to Droid from iPhone - a few questions please...

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So I plan to switch to Droid X's on the 15th from our iPhone 3GS's.

A few questions I have to make sure I'm not going to be unhappy with the swap.

1) will a Droid "remember" wifi connections like an iPhone does and just connect automatically when near them?
2) can my wife and I continue to sync both of our phone calendars with our shared Google Calender (even though we each have separate Gmail accounts apart from our shared Google calendar)?
3) are there any (or upcoming) Twitter clients like Twittelator or Twitbird beyond the 2 I was able to find on the Droid Market online?
4) is there an app similar to "Read It Later" on the Droid Market?
5) any old 80's arcade remakes available like Pac Man, Q Bert etc?
6) how does a Droid sync with your PC (or Mac)? Is there a program similar to iTunes for back up / restore functionality?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
1) yes
2) haven't tried, but I don't see why iPhone would let you and Android wouldn't
3) TweetCaster, Seesmic, Touiteur... lots of them, really.
4) Never used Read It Later... elaborate?
5) PacMan, yes. I had it up until recently (uninstalled because I didn't play it much). There are others, too.
6) Good question. I don't know. Everything I'd need backed up is backed up via Google (mail, calendar, contacts). Everything else is expendable for me so I don't worry about it; documents, pictures, etc. are on the SDCard and don't need backing up (unless you're anal, then you can just mount it as external storage and copy/paste or use a cloud sync service like SugarSync or DropBox).

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
1. yes
2. as far as i know, any google calendars that are synced with the gmail address your phone is tied to will sy
nc on your phone
3. not sure
4. you can actually use read it later in the dolphin hd browser (which is free)
5. there is pac-man; i havent seen q-bert yet
6. the phone doesnt have an backup to pc feature, but there are apps you can use (like astro, for example) to back up apps to your sd card. when OS 2.2 (froyo) is released, you will be able to do that through the os. as far as contact information and the like, that is all synced to the google cloud

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As the rest seem to be answered...
5) any old 80's arcade remakes available like Pac Man, Q Bert etc?
6) how does a Droid sync with your PC (or Mac)? Is there a program similar to iTunes for back up / restore functionality?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

5) There may not be native versions of those games, but there are tons of emulators for classic consoles available for a couple bucks each on the Market. I am talking NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, and a couple of Sega ones too. You simply install one and then get a ROM from somewhere on the internet (100% legal if you ever bought a copy of the game back in the day)
6) I am not sure about backups, but you can sync music using the guide I wrote awhile back. The link is in my signature. Sadly, the weakest part of Android is arguably the media- music, videos, etc and the ease of getting them on the phones. Google is working to adress this in upcoming versions.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
There's no one-size-fits-all solution. The answer depends on what you're specifically talking about syncing or backing up.

Everything else is expendable for me so I don't worry about it; documents, pictures, etc. are on the SDCard and don't need backing up (unless you're anal, then you can just mount it as external storage and copy/paste or use a cloud sync service like SugarSync or DropBox).
Everything that is important should be backed up, including SD card contents. This is especially true as the device (and, of course, the SD card) is easily lost/stolen/broken given its usage.