~ Need help with the new Straight Talk LG Optimus ZIP

SouthernGirl1378

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG Optimus Zip through Straightalk. I've got everything on the sd card that it will let me, I keep the messages deleted off, all pictures and music are on the sd card but it keeps telling me that my internal memory is low. I wanted to root it because I read that you could trick the phone into thinking that part of the memory card is internal memory but I hear my phone can't be rooted.

What can I do???
Help Please!!!

SouthernGirl1378

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't want a different phone, I want to figure out how to make the one I have better.
I have straight talk, virgin mobile doesn't work where I live

So, Does anyone have any help I can use?

mikegwagers

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Haveing same problem. Thinking
I have to revert back to 55. Has any one been able to root the 75c?

Sent from my LGL75C using Android Central Forums

LethalInjections

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Go under the Setting Tab: Applications: Manage Applications. Go under the icon for each app and if the button marked "Move to SD card" is lit then push it. It will move the apps to the card and just keep a shortcut on the phone. It will be a bit slower accessing apps but the phone won't give you those error messages anymore. Do this for as many apps as possible and it will keep the phone memory clear.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What you want is a new ROM, not rooting. Just rooting won't give you the "SD as 'internal' memory" thing. (It's not a "trick", it's just how some ROMS are written.) Rooting just gives you and the apps on the phone administrative access to the Android OS.

Roxie Mom

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So I got me apps moved to my SD card, but my daughter has sent me pics of my grandson and is there a way to move them to the sd card as well to save memory ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most phones have a basic file manager that allows you to copy or move files from one folder to another. You can also find plenty of excellent 3rd party file manager apps on Google Play (I recommend ES File Explorer or Astro File Manager). Just find the pics, and move them to any folder in the External SD Card. If you're using a 3rd party file manager, it may be helpful to know that the directory for the external SD card is /mnt/sdcard-ext/, while that for internal storage is /mnt/sdcard/. Confusing, I know.

If the pics were sent to you via text message, then you need to go to that message, longpress the picture, and you should get an option to save.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In regard to your low internal memory warnings, here's the problem: your phone just doesn't have much memory, and unfortunately trying to expand it with SD cards doesn't really solve the problem.

Android phones partition memory into a few different areas. Let's take my Razr Maxx as an example. It was advertised as having 16 GB of onboard memory, but about 5 GB is used up by the Android OS as well as other preinstalled apps. 3 GB of that memory is dedicated app memory, where apps can be installed. The remaining 8 GB is partitioned as internal storage (and is actually labeled by the system as an SD card, even though it's not physically an SD). On top of that, you can insert a microSD card, which is labeled as an external SD card.

When you move an app, you're moving the bulk of it from the dedicated app memory to internal storage (a small part of the app remains in app memory, so you never move the entire app into internal storage). You can't move apps to the external SD card in stock Android, although apps like App2SD can do it by sort of tricking the system (not sure if it works on Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean).

According to LG's specs, your phone only has 150 MB of internal memory. I can't tell from LG's site (or from any other website) how much application memory it has, but you can see for yourself by going to either Settings/Apps or Settings/Storage to see how much application storage you've used and how much is left. My guess is that the phone has somewhere between 256 and 512 MB, which isn't much compared to higher end phones these days that have 2-3 GB of application storage memory. On top of that, the phone only has 150 MB of internal storage memory (which is where apps can be moved). Considering that apps are getting bigger and bigger (with some games taking up >1 GB), it doesn't take much to start reaching your app memory limit. It helps to move as many apps as you can to internal storage, but certain apps can't be moved, and besides, you don't have that much internal storage to begin with.

You can do a couple of things. (1) Look through all of your apps and uninstall the ones you rarely use, and (2) try an app like App2SD to move apps to the external SD card.

Good luck!

Two_Eagle

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I need help deciding. I have non-android LG phone now, but because all income for us comes from the Internet & can't get it at a reasonable price where we live or where the workshop is (not the same places), I've been thinking of getting an android LG (Straighttalk) so we can access the Internet for paypal, ebay, the home site, mypay, & similar, because I have good reception on the phone for the browser. My questions are: 1. can shipping labels be downloaded from ebay etc. to the phone, then to the computer to can print postage without having to drive (often 40+ miles, this is ND); 2. Since I don't believe I can tether the phone to the computer, can I access all the sites needed to to make our living? The business supports a non-Xtian church & the inability to cost-effectively access the Internet for printing postage is really getting to me, at least.. Guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tricia Schrebe

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same prob... except my pic from gallery wont go on SD card! How do u get ur pic's from ur gallery to go on ur SD card?? My daughters lost my user's manual before I ever got to look at it.. Ugh! I cant even recieve a txt bc it just keeps saying my internial memory is full and I need to move gallery to SD card!

bigjoncoop

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a LG from straight talk. optimus dynamic its a lower end.phone the the zip. my phone automatically saves pictures and music.to my sdcard. I'm suprised yours didn't.

if u have a hard time finding answers here I would try. androidforums.com. I always get responses very quikly there

good luck

Jenn Siler

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have an LG Optimus Zip. It was purchased at Walmart for Straight Talk. A lot of people complain about the storage on this phone. The internal storage fluctuates on my phone from 18 mb to 50mb. I read on line in order for the Android OS to work you need at least 25 mb. I have a huge 32 gb sd card but, unfortunately everything that I can possibly move from the Managing Apps screen has been moved to my SD card. The only thing that remains that daily sucks up 30 mb is Facebook. What I do in order to save storage is I click on CLEAR DATA on the facebook app. This will cause you to loose your log in and your automatic updates. OH WELL. When you have free time and you want to browse Facebook then use it but, when you are needing a phone clear it out. This is the only way I have found that gives me the most storage. You should also check all the other apps as well for data that you can clear too but, I can guarantee Facebook is sucking up the most. By the way keep deleting texts daily. Also keep deleting the call log too! There is a setting that automatically saves all your downloads to your SD card. You should be able to find it.

Betsy Cross

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
On the optimus dynamic, open the browser then click on the menu icon on the bottom left of the toolbar. Drop down and highlight settings, then highlight storage. It will give you the option of storing on the SD card or the internal memory, whichever you prefer. You're welcome ;)

Betsy Cross

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I found that for me personally, deleting the fb app and just using the fb website is much better, and it doesn't take up all the room that the app does... and for anyone who loves pinterest, the same is true, or for that matter so is the weather channel. All those apps just take up space. Sure, it's a tiny bit slower not having the app and having to go onto the website but I don't mind waiting an extra 30 seconds for a lot more available space.

Kurosaki_kun

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
If anyone is still watching this board or ends up here from a "google" search, I will attempt to explain what I've learned in the last 5 months about Android and the low-end LG phones.

As many of you have stated, the "cheap" Optimus series phones (ie. Zip, Logic, Dynamic, etc.) fill up VERY quickly. First a couple points you should note:
1. The phones have 2 SD cards, 1 built-in to the hardware (don't look for it, it's not removable), the other is the SD card under the battery (yours may or may not have an external SD card)
2. The built-in, or internal, storage is divided into several partitions, think of them as individual hard drives in a computer. I have an LG Optimus Dynamic, here's what I've learned so far:

I have at least 3 system partitions:
  • SYSTEM -- basically the same idea as the "Windows" folder on a computer, this is where all the factory installed apps go, among other things, and you can't touch it.
  • CACHE -- this is a temporary storage space, all apps you download go here first, then the AndroidOS makes folders and puts the new app...
  • DATA -- ...here. This is what Android calls your Internal Storage (sometimes). ALL app settings are saved here.

After all the Android partitions are set up, all that's left is the Internal SD which you can do almost anything with. By default, all photos you take with the camera are saved here in the /DCIM folder. Also, when an app is movable, SOME of the components go here if you choose to do so.

Now, my phone has 374MB for the system partition and 157MB for the data partition. Out of the factory the data partition is already more than 50% full, and THAT'S why it's so easy to run out of space. I found a way to make some room, but it means voiding the warranty, and "rooting" your phone (to root your phone is to give yourself administrative rights over the system, and unlocking the "/system" folder, which can result in a broken phone if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing). A team of tinkerers at Android Area51 downloaded the factory OS, modified it (changed colors, tweaked a few system settings, and removed some software you don't need to use the phone), and packaged it for anyone to download, install, and customize to their hearts content. 1 downside, they freed up a ton of system space by "de-odexing" the factory software (not important to know about that now) which in turn, eats up a bunch of data storage. After a lot of digging, I figured out how to "odex" the system apps and free up the storage space again. After all was said and done, I had almost 60MB of free space to install more apps, including the monstrous Facebook app, and further more, found out you can move some of your downloaded apps to the "/system" folder and free up even more storage space.

So here's the graphic break down of the built-in storage in my phone:

*|__________/system________|_____/data_____|/cache|________________________________Internal SD__________________________________________|*

If you think you might be able to handle it, go to Android Area51 and ask anyone if you need help, info, tips, or if you're just curious.

Good luck.

Michele Yost

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My optimus phone isn't cooperating.. all it tells me is phone storage space is low... its so frustrating and none of my apps can go on the card. i just want to get rid of this stupid phone. wat good is a phone that doesn't download apps.p