Galaxy S3 - Screen timeout and menu key problem

a1745

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've searched around but wasn't able to find an answer anywhere.
My issue is simple. My screen would timeout, but not lock, while I was using it. So the intuitive thing to do is to hit the menu key to turn the screen back on, and thats what I do. The problem is that the screen would turn back on, but as soon as its on it would also go straight to the menu (as if the screen hasn't timedout at all), which forces me to re-enter the app again. As this happens every 30 seconds or so, this is quite annoying.
Needless to say, the stayawake feature doesn't always work well. I could obviously set the screen timeout for longer than 30 seconds, but this would just drain the battery.
Anyone else experienced this issue? Can you help me fix this (so when I hit the menu key, it would only turn the screen back on, without going to the menu)?

Thanks a lot!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just hit the power button to turn the screen back on?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen is off and the power button locks the screen instead of just turning it back on?

What app are you using that you need the screen to stay active?

a1745

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The screen is off and the power button locks the screen instead of just turning it back on?

What app are you using that you need the screen to stay active?

Any app, really. The browsers, the messaging, games, everything.
Anyway to get around it? Is it some settings thing I'm
missing?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you are actively using it, it shouldn't time out like that. The only thing I could see happening is if you were doing something where you aren't interacting with it (like watching a movie) and it timed out. But, you are saying it's happening while you are browsing or playing a game?

a1745

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you are actively using it, it shouldn't time out like that. The only thing I could see happening is if you were doing something where you aren't interacting with it (like watching a movie) and it timed out. But, you are saying it's happening while you are browsing or playing a game?

Yeah, pretty much any activity. Wherever I'm in, the screen will turn on after hitting the menu key, and then send me straight to the menu- which will require me to locate the app I was in and go back there again.
What happens to you when your screen goes off(not goes dimmer, but total black) and you press the menu key? Do you get sent to the menu or does your screen only turns on (without leaving the app you're in)?

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Galaxy S3 - Screen timeout and menu key problem

It might be background service doing, check the list of active services in application settings and kill any that looks susspicus

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
What happens to you when your screen goes off(not goes dimmer, but total black) and you press the menu key? Do you get sent to the menu or does your screen only turns on (without leaving the app you're in)?

My menu key doesn't wake up my phone. My Home key does though. But, it behaves exactly as my power button does. Just turns the screen on and brings me to the lock screen. When I unlock my phone, it goes right back into the app I am in.

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I finally got the solution for this problem.
Go to your phone settings > Language and input > Voice search. Make sure here " Open via home key " option is selected. There you go! Hope it helps. =)

Valid User Name

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I think ever since 4.1 ive been having the same problem. You used to have five seconds after the screen timed out to press the home button and resume what you were doing without going to the lock screen. Now, pressing the home button too soon after the screen blacks out will turn the screen back on but also send you "home" which is very annoying :/ I'm hoping this re-articulation of the problem might help find us a fix from someone.

a1745

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I finally got the solution for this problem.
Go to your phone settings > Language and input > Voice search. Make sure here " Open via home key " option is selected. There you go! Hope it helps. =)
Hi there, I don't have this option in mu voice search menu. Strange that this solution comes from this menu setting.
Thanks anyway!

a1745

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I think ever since 4.1 ive been having the same problem. You used to have five seconds after the screen timed out to press the home button and resume what you were doing without going to the lock screen. Now, pressing the home button too soon after the screen blacks out will turn the screen back on but also send you "home" which is very annoying :/ I'm hoping this re-articulation of the problem might help find us a fix from someone.

I know, its really annoying! I guess it makes it worse that our phones didn't have this issue a few months/weeks ago. hopefully they get this sorted, hitting the home key is the most intuitive thing to do when your screen goes black and you want to turn it back on.

AFwifenmom

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Very upsetting. I've tried every setting option I can think of, too. Maybe I'll just end up emailing Samsung. I love my Gs3 but this problem is annoying!