Should Hyperlink on google spreadsheet function on android tablet?

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Google spreadsheets allow hyperlinks to be placed within cells, such as explained here:
How to Make a Hyperlink Work in Google Spreadsheets | eHow.com

This works fine with my pc, where clicking cell offers prompt to click to go to hyperlinked page.
When same document is viewed via my Nexus 7 tablet, I can see the kyperlink text in the cell, but it does not respond to single tap, or touching and holding etc.to activate the link.

I believe this is a commonly used feature and anticipate it's a feature that google should if anything be better at than excel to encourage the migration to cloud computing.
Upon googling for info, I can't find other's having problem and I did find a website with known issues with google spreadsheets ( only ahandful listed) but no mention of the above problem.

So, is there a non-obvious way to activate the link or is it a problem or known bug?
(I hope this the the right sub-forum foum forthe question)

TIA
Dave.

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, in absence of reply I tried another google... and this thread came top... but no answer.
Via the google spreadsheet 'help' I found the google forum and this thread which resolved it for me:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/docs/hyperlink$20android/docs/Z7uCAg3FOos

It's not tap.. or double tap, it,a tap, wait then tap again to get flagged prompt for 'follow link' to tap again. Easy once you know. :)

Chris Hall8

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, in absence of reply I tried another google... and this thread came top... but no answer.
Via the google spreadsheet 'help' I found the google forum and this thread which resolved it for me:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/docs/hyperlink$20android/docs/Z7uCAg3FOos

It's not tap.. or double tap, it,a tap, wait then tap again to get flagged prompt for 'follow link' to tap again. Easy once you know. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Dave, just what I was looking for!

K-Am

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem, except I'm trying to create an index that will link to different sheets within the same file.

When I 'follow link', it simply goes through the motions and returns to the same page.

I've also tried this with excel and I get the same problem.

Does anyone know how to work around this issue?

To clarify, I have a "home" sheet with an index. I want the hyperlinks to take the user to she sheet which contains the relevant information. On PC's it works fine, but mobiles dont want to know.

Thanks in advance.

K-Am

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
With Excel it's easy, using VBA. (Well, easy if you know programming and VBA.) I don't use Google Spreadsheets, so I have no idea if it can be done. (For Excel assistance - and people who just look for a reason to write VBA code for you - see MrExcel Message Board. Some real Excel gurus post there.)