How to QUADRUPLE Your Android Battery Life

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
lol! He tries to save battery life by disabling the wifi when your GPS says you're out of range of certain wifi hotspots.

Exactly how does constantly running GPS save battery life?

R3Z

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
lol! He tries to save battery life by disabling the wifi when your GPS says you're out of range of certain wifi hotspots.

Exactly how does constantly running GPS save battery life?

GPS isn't constantly on. And if you'd do your research, you'd know that GPS uses FAR less battery than WiFi. The added benefit of not having to toggle them myself is worth it.

Laugh all you want, but thats just how it is bro. Tell me how having WiFi on all the time uses less battery life than only having it on when you're in range?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hmm.. from personal experience of traveling often, I find that using GPS while navigating, after 3-4 hours, my battery is toast.

If I leave WIFI on, regardless if it's connected to a router or not, it'll go all day long.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I, too, have found the gps to be quite the power user. Wifi quite a bit less, and of course the benefit to wifi is that once you do hit it, it's far less power use than 3g. But I do tend to leave it off unless I'm near something I know for sure.

R3Z

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Hmm.. from personal experience of traveling often, I find that using GPS while navigating, after 3-4 hours, my battery is toast.

If I leave WIFI on, regardless if it's connected to a router or not, it'll go all day long.

Thats if you're actively using it. This isn't actively using GPS. Its just polling. Before I used this app. I never turned GPS off and it had no ill effect on battery life.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thats if you're actively using it. This isn't actively using GPS. Its just polling. Before I used this app. I never turned GPS off and it had no ill effect on battery life.

Even so, I have a policy set to leave my WIFI on and connected and I have 3 push emails setup.. it'll last all day long with WIFI on and connected.

but I get 1 day average with my DroidX.. you're saying that with the same amount of use, this software will allow me to go 2, 3 and even 4 days?

Last edited:

R3Z

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Even so, I have a policy set to leave my WIFI on and connected and I have 3 push emails setup.. it'll last all day long with WIFI on and connected.

but I get 1 day average with my DroidX.. you're saying that with the same amount of use, this software will allow me to go 2, 3 and even 4 days?

With the right setup, it is certainly possible. But by all means man, use and do what works for you. Everyone's got different setups. I'm just trying to give people options that I've found useful. Best of luck bro.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, didn't mean to seem like an a-hole. Just that everyone I know, plus my own experience, has shown that GPS drains the battery. Of course, leaving the GPS setting to ON doesn't mean the GPS is always running, but how is the app going to know if I'm within range of a known Wifi if the GPS isn't constantly running?

Granted, this isn't the biggest deal either way, considering I can just not use that feature and only turn on Wifi when I know I'm near something.

Also, do you have to root to use this app? I was under the impression that you have to root to do any under/overclocking...

R3Z

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Okay, didn't mean to seem like an a-hole. Just that everyone I know, plus my own experience, has shown that GPS drains the battery. Of course, leaving the GPS setting to ON doesn't mean the GPS is always running, but how is the app going to know if I'm within range of a known Wifi if the GPS isn't constantly running?

Granted, this isn't the biggest deal either way, considering I can just not use that feature and only turn on Wifi when I know I'm near something.

Also, do you have to root to use this app? I was under the impression that you have to root to do any under/overclocking...

Most of the functions work without root, but yeah things like the CPU control needs root. The app does a check for root when you install it so it knows what you can and can't do.