serious magnetometer issues

Jim_S

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
So, I finally got my first Android device, a Sero 7 Pro tablet. It's a lot of fun, and I see a lot of useful apps too. But I seem to be having a problem with any app which has a compass function, which no amount of attempting to calibrate will fix.

Most simple compass apps will lock on to the correct orientation with just a little simple moving around. If not, a few figure-8 movements as recommended all over the net will get them going. However, 99% of them don't react smoothly. No matter whether they're pointing in the right direction or not, they jitter. I had assumed that it was a problem with interference from everything in my computer/radio room, so I went outside. Same behavior.

Now, getting a little more technical... One of the apps I really wanted to run was Satellite AR, which will use the camera and magnetometer to give you a picture of where satellites are in the sky. Unlike most of the simple compass apps, it actually tells you when it thinks it needs to be calibrated. The problem is that it ALWAYS thinks it needs to be calibrated. No amount of figure-8's will get the message to go away. Even when it seems to be pointing in the correct direction to the best of my ability to determine (I've installed quite a few dishes in my time, it's a hobby), it still jitters. Sometimes, just walking around casually with the tablet, or even setting it down flat, the unreliable-compass message will go away, but as soon as I move it at all, in any direction, the message comes back.

Determined to get to the root of the problem, I downloaded the Survey Compass app, which will also tell the user when it needs to be calibrated. I found exactly the same behavior as I did in Satellite AR -- it claims low accuracy no matter what I do, except sometimes when I set down the tablet, it says high accuracy until the moment I pick it up again. In addition, when it claims low accuracy, it also claims that the magnetic field is too strong.

So, getting somewhere at last, I picked up a third app, Sensor Viewer, which provides a realtime graph of the magnetic field. As expected from my experience with Survey Compass, it shows that the magnetic field is abnormally high in one axis. But like the other apps, it doesn't appear to really be a magnetic field! I can go outside into the middle of the yard, which is nowhere near anything that would be generating an artificial magnetic field, and the same thing happens. But the part that's the most puzzling is how it'll sometimes (but NOT all the time) settle down when the tablet is laying still, and act up again as soon as I touch it.

At this point I assumed that I had a bad magnetometer. So I tried the same apps on my girlfriend's tablet (same model, bought at the same time and place) and it does exactly the same thing. So, do all the Sero 7 Pro's have bad magnetometers? Or is there something else going on, like a driver issue? It seems to me that it could just be a case of the magnetometer being too sensitive. Is there a way to change the sensitivity or the scaling factor in the OS? (I was searching around the net a few nights ago and somewhere I found a similar report from a different device, where the user said that it was fixed by rooting the device and changing a line in a configuration file, but I was tired and I didn't save the page, and now I can't find it again! The thing that I DID find, however, was a bunch of posts from Nexus 7 (supposedly almost identical internals to the Sero 7) owners who said that their magnetometers all got flaky after a certain version of Android. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to have a fix! But it does give me hope that it could be a driver issue instead of a hardware issue.)

Jim_S

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
ANYBODY?

I've seen lots of complaints about flaky magnetometer behavior around the net, but other than the page that I still haven't been able to find again, nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

adrian hargreaves

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as you with my new Alcatel One Touch Idol (Android 4.1.1 with an akm8963 magnetometer). I need the magnetometer for the SkEye app. Unfortunately, the image the app produces jitters around all over the place, making it utterly useless for providing a PUSHTO capability for my telescope. I've also noticed the same problem with any app requiring the magnetometer sensor - even Google Maps in Compass mode jitters like crazy. I downloaded an app called Sensor Kinetics to investigate the problem. It has an excellent tool for graphing what the magnetometer is sensing. The graph it displays shows extreme saw-tooth spiking on all 3 axis of the magnetometer. No amount of figure 8 movements solved the problem. I then experimented by placing a fridge magnet (i.e. weak and feeble in strength) close to the phone. Immediately, the spiking reduced considerably. After experimenting a little, I discovered that when I placed the magnet close to the top right edge of the phone, the spiking stopped completely. The graph showed straight lines on all 3 axes. But when I moved the magnet away again, the spiking returned, but much less so. However, after moving the magnet towards and away from the phone for a few minutes I found that I could remove all the spiking. I tried the same trick with SkEye and low and behold, it worked. Obviously, this is no solution, just a workaround. But the fact that I can get it to work at all suggest it’s a resolvable problem. If anyone recognises these symptoms and knows a more permanent solution, please share.

Last edited:

denvy

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am hearing lots of such complaints .But not sure what do to to solve this issue.I am not familiar with gradiometer magnetometer you speak about.Any ways hope you find the solution to solve this issue.But if you find it do not forget to post it.I think many people are facing similar issues.Best wishes!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded an app called Sensor Kinetics to investigate the problem. It has an excellent tool for graphing what the magnetometer is sensing. The graph it displays shows extreme saw-tooth spiking on all 3 axis of the magnetometer.
It has to be an individual model thing.

I had never heard of the app, but I installed the free version on my Note 3. Unless I move, all 3 axes show straight lines. Not perfectly straight, there are tiny wiggles in them, but nothing that could remotely be called a spike or sawtooth (unless you're talking about an amplitude I need my glasses on to see - on an almost 6" display).

Just another data point to throw into the mix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo