VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: OTA Updates With CWM

*ALSO - Say if I got a US based ROM for a Australian device, would it work flawlessly?
Any help would be nice,
Thanks.
US ROMs on International devices never play nice. You'll either get a boot loop or a bricked device :(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

How about the Nexus 4? Seeing as their is a singular version, the stock ROM for that will work on any N4 (from any country)?

Any way, its alright. From now on, Ill just keep it to stock recovery: And just flash CWM when there`s a custom ROM I favour.
That way, I can get OTA updates easily, and not hassle all over XDA for a deodexed ROM, or a specific-country ROM.

thanks for your help :)
If devices have different radios then you sill start to have problems or possibly a bricked device. It's always advised that you only install ROMs intented for your specific device to not have issues. I have heard of people installing ROMs meant for International devices onto US ones as long as the radios are not changed, but I don't recommend it.

Regarding the official OTA updates, you can unroot back to stock and receive OTA updates. However, it should be noted that on most devices you may no longer be able to re-root right away if the manufacturer patched the root exploit. If you are using the N4 then there won't be an issue since that device is designed to be rooted easily with the stock firmware. You might want to sit tight and wait for a Developer to release a stock, rooted version of the update for flashing through CWM to not deal with the unrooting process.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

^^ This was very important...

Its not the ROM or OS itself that causes a brick its the radio firmware that causes the brick in most cases. So that is why we always stress flash only official/unofficial software that is intended for your exact device, carrier, country and/or region.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez