New User of Android Incredible

tens00

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Just got my Android Incredible today. Got a tutorial in store and have read the user guide and am searching the forums. I am SO frustrated by a few things that I bet are so easy! Please help if you can. I TRIED finding answers but just couldn't find clear solutions. Your help is so appreciated.

1. How do I add something to an extended home screen? E.g., I'd love to have my calendar open on one of these pages. I can't get it done. I can get the icon there but can't leave it open. In the store they set up a screen with the texting but I can't do this again.

2. If I am talking on my handset and want to switch to the bluetooth in my car, how can I do this without hanging up the call?

3. They imported my bb contacts and all my gmail contacts came in. My address book is a mess. I wanted to clean it up in gmail but it doesn't seem to have all the same contacts as what is on my phone.

4. I called the store and she had me export my contacts to my SD card. She wasn't getting it. Anyway, now I want to remove the file. I tried hooking up to my computer to delete it but can't figure out how.

5. How can I cut and paste info?

Thank you if you can help at all. I plan on continuing a list of questions and returning to the store but these things will get me going a bit faster.

BEST!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
1 How do I add something to an extended home screen? E.g., I'd love to have my calendar open on one of these pages. I can't get it done. I can get the icon there but can't leave it open. In the store they set up a screen with the texting but I can't do this again.

Hit the + button on the Right hand side of the screen and Add Widgets instead of Adding Programs, this will display the Calendar in a Calendar mode instead of just the Calendar Icon for the program. You may want to play with a few of the Calendar apps in the market until you find the widget you like.

2. If I am talking on my handset and want to switch to the bluetooth in my car, how can I do this without hanging up the call?

I have not been able to connect to BT in the car once on the phone. I can disconnect and go to the earpiece just by turning off the BT on either the phone or the speaker phone, but I have not gotten it to go the other way. There are soposed to be a lot of BT updates in Froyo, I’m hoping this is one of them.

3. They imported my bb contacts and all my gmail contacts came in. My address book is a mess. I wanted to clean it up in gmail but it doesn't seem to have all the same contacts as what is on my phone.

Probably the easiest thing to do is edit you contacts in G-mail and get them sorted the way you want then wipe them on the phone and re-sync.

4. I called the store and she had me export my contacts to my SD card. She wasn't getting it. Anyway, now I want to remove the file. I tried hooking up to my computer to delete it but can't figure out how.

When you connect to the PC the phone should ask which mode you want to connect as. Choose Hard drive mode and then the SD card will appear on your PC as a hard drive and you can delete the file that way. Also Astro or Adao File Manager will allow you to delete the file on the SD card from the phone.

Long press on the text you want to select. Green start and stop Pips will spear, you can use them to select what you want then long press to copy. Go to where you want to paste and long press the area where you want to paste and select paste. I understand that copy and paste in G-mail is an issue though.

Hope this helps.

tens00

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Hit the + button on the Right hand side of the screen and Add Widgets instead of Adding Programs, this will display the Calendar in a Calendar mode instead of just the Calendar Icon for the program. You may want to play with a few of the Calendar apps in the market until you find the widget you like.

Oh my goodness! THANK YOU SO MUCH! This was making me CRAZY.

I have not been able to connect to BT in the car once on the phone. I can disconnect and go to the earpiece just by turning off the BT on either the phone or the speaker phone, but I have not gotten it to go the other way. There are soposed to be a lot of BT updates in Froyo, I’m hoping this is one of them.

Really!? My sister has an iPhone and thought it might just pick it up if I went from handset and got into the car. That is a big bummer if you can't switch. I do a lot of in and out. Ah well...

Probably the easiest thing to do is edit you contacts in G-mail and get them sorted the way you want then wipe them on the phone and re-sync.

I would except the contacts in my phone (sent from my BB) are in MUCH better condition. I wasn't using gmail to track contacts nicely. So, it would be MUCH better for me to get the contacts from the phone into Gmail and then I can edit them, then resync. Any thoughts on how to get the contacts from my phone into my gmail?

When you connect to the PC the phone should ask which mode you want to connect as. Choose Hard drive mode and then the SD card will appear on your PC as a hard drive and you can delete the file that way. Also Astro or Adao File Manager will allow you to delete the file on the SD card from the phone.

Interesting - I tried this but don't see the SD card - I see the content of the phone - folders such as .bookmark_thumb1, .footprints,.albumthumbs,DCIM, LOST.DIR, and MP3 - but nothing seems to have the .vcf file she had me export.

Long press on the text you want to select. Green start and stop Pips will spear, you can use them to select what you want then long press to copy. Go to where you want to paste and long press the area where you want to paste and select paste. I understand that copy and paste in G-mail is an issue though.

What do these terms mean - long press (does that mean hold down the key?) What is green start and stop pips? I feel like I just entered another world. Wait - I did!

Since you are SO helpful and I so appreciate it - do you think the Incredible was a good choice. I almost swapped it out for the X or Droid 2 but the guy in the store convinced me the Incredible was the best of them all due to the processor and that once it gets the 2.2 OS, it will be the best of the 3. Everyone has such different opinions it can make you insane!

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
RE BT: It works great if you connect to the hands free before making or receiving a call, bit I have never been able to get it to transfer to the BT hands free while on a call. :(

RE Contacts: Try using the Blackberry desktop to sync to your Outlook, then you can use HTCSync, it’s in the phone memory and you can install it on your PC from there, or download it from HTC, to sync to your phone. I don’t want all my contacts on g-mail so this is how I do it. Alternatively you can also import your Outlook contacts to G-mail then sync to the phone.

RE Storage: See if there is another drive on your PC that is the SD card, otherwise you can use one of the file managers to delete the file.

RE Long Press: A long press is when you touch the portion of the screen or a button that you want to activate and hold the press for a second. In this case, you would touch the text you want to copy and hold it until the text highlights. When it highlights you will see that the text has a shaded box around it and there are Pips (sorry I don’t know how to describe them better, but they will be obvious) at the start and end of the selected area. You can drag the Pips to include all of the text you want to select.

I highly recommend downloading the full user manual from HTC’s site. It’s laborious, but there is a wealth of information there. I spent about 2 hours going over it the first day I had the phone and it opened my eyes to a lot of things.

Do I think you made the wrong choice, No. ;) I really like this phone. I think it’s one of the best devices out there right now, and I have used them all, either setting them up or answering questions about them for customers. Once the Froyo update ships, it will go from being a great device to a really great device IMHOP. ;)

Welcome Aboard!

tens00

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Not being able to transfer from BT to handset bums me out!

I will try your suggestions regarding my contacts. I need to find some time :)

I will also check out the file managers.

And, I will try the long press instructions.

I downloaded the manual and read it last night but it seemed to cover higher level information. Maybe I got the wrong manual? If you have a link to what you are talking about so I can ensure I looked at the right one, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your help and feedback. I'm frustrated right now but that's always the case with new technology :)

bogeyx5

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My Lexus bluetooth picks the call up from the handset and vise versa without a problem. Not sure why mine can do it and yours can't, I didn't do anything special.