How do I disable Google Now?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to disable Google Now

I'm about to throw my new S5 in the garbage and go back to a simpler phone. I am getting bombarded with calender notifications about events I did not register for but that I have been invited to by my Meetup and other App's. I get constant popups about having to leave now and how far these events are away despite the fact I never replied that I was going. I do not need 20+ prompts a day like this and have had no success in finding a way to disable them.

Hit the three dots on the card. It'll ask if you want to keep getting calendar reminders.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm about to throw my new S5 in the garbage and go back to a simpler phone. I am getting bombarded with calender notifications about events I did not register for but that I have been invited to by my Meetup and other App's. I get constant popups about having to leave now and how far these events are away despite the fact I never replied that I was going. I do not need 20+ prompts a day like this and have had no success in finding a way to disable them.

If these are actually Google Now notifications, you're not getting "bombarded" by them. Google Now rolls everything into a single notification.

David Ballantine

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

will it disable the real calender notifications I want?

When I put something in my calender and schedule a reminder I want that reminder. I just do not need 100 separate pop ups for every other calender invite I said 'no' to. And yes they are all separate notices with a connection to a map and travel time and even traffic suggestions, so if not 'google now' what could it be? I just upgraded to the Samsung S5 and never had this issue prior with the S3.

ChuckAlaimo

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello

My wife and I just got galaxy s5's. The home button is seriously annoying us. How can we have the home button actually get us home? I've tried enabling and disabling svoice. Enabling and disabling Google now. Almost every time we hit the home button it takes us to Google now (or Google search if now is disabled). I love the phone but not being able to get to your home screen really sucks.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello

My wife and I just got galaxy s5's. The home button is seriously annoying us. How can we have the home button actually get us home? I've tried enabling and disabling svoice. Enabling and disabling Google now. Almost every time we hit the home button it takes us to Google now (or Google search if now is disabled). I love the phone but not being able to get to your home screen really sucks.

Are you long pressing the Home button? My note 4 only brings up Google Now if I long press the Home button. If I just do a quick press of the button, it takes me right to my home screen. I was making that mistake when I first got my phone, and I was really frustrated, too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Josh Flinch

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I just deleted the Google app. Problem solved. No adverse effects.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Why would we want to disable Google Now?

I tried to set it up with what cards I wanted and didn't want. And despite telling it things like I could give a damn about sports, it keeps giving me sports scores. It keeps inventing new things to show me.

I am ADHD. The last thing I need in this universe is more random useless interruptions. And that is what Google Now pretty much is.

About the only thing I actually liked out of it was telling me when packages shipped. But it's not worth the giant PITA.

Istvan Lengyel1

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Previous ways to disable don't work, Google changed it to make it "better". While at it, the phone overheats, uses so much power to anticipate what you want to do. Once I set up Google+, the battery life went down to one day on a HTC One M8 from two days. Now I disabled all the features by restricting what Google+ can access (basically nothing), and the battery life went to 4 days from one. This is a pretty good reason to disable Google+ or Google Now on a phone even if it has "awesome" features. You can just bring up Google Map and type what you want when you need it rather than have Google+ anticipate it. This anticipation feature is faulty anyway. That's a pretty small price for 3 extra days of battery life for me. I used "Apps Ops Starter" app to restrict access of Google+ to everything. Looks like Google did not care about battery usage with this app. It is horrible honestly.

Steven Willson

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have an Honor 6 plus. Just started getting lots of 'play services'; errors, more than 1 a minute. Remembered that i had just turned it on when prompted by google. just turned it off, all errors gone away. Clearly buggy. Shame, i liked it on my Samsung.

powro

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I've disabled Google Now because I do not find it very useful (and Cortana, and Siri) and I worry Google "remembers" too many things about me (websites, places I have visited, searches...) and may share this information with my friends.

Vooky

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I understand you

I hate my phone (LG Magna) spams notificactions "ETA home: 2 hours", I open that notificaction and it says 30 minutes
Anyone that has seen that 2 hours thing think the same "why is it saying 2 hours but when you enter, it's only 30 mins?"

Anyway, I never use that feature so It's really annoying to see notifications about stuff you'll never use, I just disabled notifications from "GoogleApp", hopefully it'll stop

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

It pops up because Google now has Google Now on tap in it. If you're on a web page or in certain apps and you want to see information about what's in that app you can touch Google Now on tap.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

If I search for Android phones and touch now on tap it will bring up other options to show where I can find more sites about android phones.
You can see it brings up Android Central as one of the places you can find out things about android phones.
If you're in a music app that streams from the internet , it may show you other information about the song you're listening to.

Attachments

• 1463682496637.jpg
    1463682496637.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 8

Leta1911

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm glad to have found this discussion. Google Now popped open on my phone last week and by the time I figured out where the screen was hiding it had drained my battery twice and about 25% of my data plan. I went into the settings and turned it off, and now tonight it is trying to pop back open again. Completely unacceptable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87