Prepping rooted Note 3 for Kit Kat

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my Verizon device using TWRP.

Should I just wait and sideload KK when it becomes available (assuming that I don't need to upgrade with what's currently available and want to wait until the Verizon/US version gets out)?

Or should I unroot back to stock first and OTA it?

Or can I simply reinstall my stock ROM in recovery and OTA?

I used to have Save Root. It worked like a charm for my Motorola devices. Does this work between updates as well? Do we know yet if there will be a way to save root when upgrading?

So many questions...

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can make a nandroid backup now, and flash a custom ROM. Then come back to the nandroid when the OTA is out and flash a stock firmware (Done in download mode, not recovery)
Not sure about save root but OTAs typically break root for Samsung phones, if you can even get the phone to take it while rooted

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
How do I get to download mode? Every time I try to do it, I end up straight into recovery mode.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Plus, I'm trying to remember but I think that doing an OTA with Motorola also broke root but Save Root could bring it back. Don't quote me on that though. I seem to remember doing the OTA with my RAZR and using Save Root to bring it back but I could be wrong about that.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
How do I get to download mode? Every time I try to do it, I end up straight into recovery mode.

Download mode is the same button combo as recovery, but instead of volume up, you use volume down :)

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, thanks!

This method is something that I need to use Odin for, right? I haven't had to use it for anything yet.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If I have my stock ROM saved in the stock slot in TWRP, that's my Nandroid, right?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh, thanks!

This method is something that I need to use Odin for, right? I haven't had to use it for anything yet.

Yeah, stock firmware can only be flashed with Odin and using DL mode. It might come in handy later on. Odin is a life saver :D