When I connected my phone to the net, all my gmail contacts got mixed into my phone contacts!!!

GoshLike

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm running android 2.3.6

Ok, so like the title says, when I connected my cellphone to the internet my cellphone contacts got contaminated with all my gmail contacts. This really pisses me off.

Aside from manually going through and deleting them, how can i turn this feature off?

Many thanks.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That is a feature of android to save your contacts to your gmail account so you will never ever ever loose them if your phone goes for a swim, gets run over, gets hit by a scud missle, ect.

Options other than the above

Use the feature.
Use another gmail account for your phone.
Delete your gmail contacts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

GoshLike

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That is a feature of android to save your contacts to your gmail account so you will never ever ever loose them if your phone goes for a swim, gets run over, gets hit by a scud missle, ect.

Options other than the above

Use the feature.
Use another gmail account for your phone.
Delete your gmail contacts.

That's really not acceptable.

I want to be able to check my email from my phone. But I want my cellphone contacts to stay separate from my gmail contacts. When I'm scrolling through my contacts looking for someone to ring or text there's now hundreds of contacts from my gmail in there. It's messy and annoying. I think there might even be facebook contacts mixed in there, not sure. I don't even know most of the ppl in my contacts list now. It's full of randoms that I have to filter through when I want to ring/text someone.

There should be an option to just turn off contact syncing.

Poor design.

GoshLike

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Alright - I managed to fix it by pulling out my sim card, deleting all contacts, then putting my sim card back in. Nice and clean now.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You can use k9 mail as well.
It dose push notifications with gmail.
And you can freeze gmail with titanium backup to avoid dual notifications or just tuen off notifications in the gmail app.

You can add as many emails as you want to k9 althoug I do not know if any other than gmail will support push notifications. Yahoo and live should.

I hope your solution is permanent.
It may happen again when you re sync.

Ohh that gives me an idea.

In your accounts. In the settings menu. Go to google account and un tick the box next to contacts.

Solved permanently!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress