Default number for Google Now?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I ask Google now to send a text to a contact with multiple numbers, it asks me which number to send to. Is there a way to set a default number to use when sending a text message? I know I can set default numbers in my address book, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The whole idea is that if you entered multiple numbers, it must be because you want to be able to call/send texts to that contact at more than one number. If you want a default number for texts, add a contact for that person with the first name Text Default John or something like that, and only one number.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I ask Google now to send a text to a contact with multiple numbers, it asks me which number to send to. Is there a way to set a default number to use when sending a text message? I know I can set default numbers in my address book, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks for any suggestions!

Open the Contacts or People app then open the contact. Long press on the number you want to set as default then select default. That should be the number that comes up every time you use Google Now to send texts with Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Open the Contacts or People app then open the contact. Long press on the number you want to set as default then select default. That should be the number that comes up every time you use Google Now to send texts with Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for the suggestion, but, as I said in my original post, specifying a default contact number in the people app doesn't seem to do the trick.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The whole idea is that if you entered multiple numbers, it must be because you want to be able to call/send texts to that contact at more than one number. If you want a default number for texts, add a contact for that person with the first name Text Default John or something like that, and only one number.

Well, sure. But, for example, for people who have a contact that has a land line number and a cell number, it would be nice to be able to specify that text messages should only go to the cell phone, rather than have Google ask me if I want it to send a text message to a landmine.

I think have discovered a half solution. I think you can tell Google Now to send the text to a "mobile" number - for example, "send text message to my wife mobile" or something like that, and it should do the trick. It can be hit or miss though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

gbrinkman

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Most people have a home, cell and work number or at least cell and work number. It isn't that you want to text them at multiple numbers. Having a contact with a different name just with a mobile number isn't a very good solution to a huge issue.

JDMDATL

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
]

I submitted your response to the annual Dumbest Things Ever Posted on the Internet contest and it won gold medals in both the "I have no idea what I'm talking about but here's my opinion anyway!" AND the "Mouth breathers/erp-derp" categories!!!

AND! It also earned an honorable mention in the "Shooting from the hip: knowing stuff is hard" category.

The competition this year was really tough but you really wowed the judges with this one. CONGRATULATIONS, Rukbat!

Willprot

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site

I have to thank JDMDATL, even years later for pointing out how boneheaded this reply is. Because unfortunately this is still a problem and this page comes up in Google.

No Rukbat, the whole idea for entering multiple numbers is so you have those numbers available IF you need them.

I have every single one of my family members landline (those that still have one) and work numbers stored in my phone. I could get stranded and not be able to get them on their mobile, before I pay for an uber or something that would be a good time to us those numbers. Or god forbid, what if there is an emergency that I need to talk to one of them specifically and their mobile is off as they're at work... again you should have the work number for that and where else should I store it? haven't you ever heard it's better to have something and not need it rather than need it and not have it...

That said I have NEVER USED ANY OF THEIR WORK NUMBERS, I shouldn't have Google ask me every (many) times which number to use since I only ever use mobile, however I should not have to delete their work number or make a separate contact. That's just foolish and I'm surprised this problem still exists years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa