Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jerethi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Default number for Google Now?

Whenever I ask Google now to send a text to a contact with multiple numbers, it asks me which number to send to. Is there a way to set a default number to use when sending a text message? I know I can set default numbers in my address book, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Default Re: Default number for Google Now?

The whole idea is that if you entered multiple numbers, it must be because you want to be able to call/send texts to that contact at more than one number. If you want a default number for texts, add a contact for that person with the first name Text Default John or something like that, and only one number.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by jerethi View Post
    Whenever I ask Google now to send a text to a contact with multiple numbers, it asks me which number to send to. Is there a way to set a default number to use when sending a text message? I know I can set default numbers in my address book, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Thanks for any suggestions!

Open the Contacts or People app then open the contact. Long press on the number you want to set as default then select default. That should be the number that comes up every time you use Google Now to send texts with Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Open the Contacts or People app then open the contact. Long press on the number you want to set as default then select default. That should be the number that comes up every time you use Google Now to send texts with Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the suggestion, but, as I said in my original post, specifying a default contact number in the people app doesn't seem to do the trick.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    The whole idea is that if you entered multiple numbers, it must be because you want to be able to call/send texts to that contact at more than one number. If you want a default number for texts, add a contact for that person with the first name Text Default John or something like that, and only one number.
    Well, sure. But, for example, for people who have a contact that has a land line number and a cell number, it would be nice to be able to specify that text messages should only go to the cell phone, rather than have Google ask me if I want it to send a text message to a landmine.

I think have discovered a half solution. I think you can tell Google Now to send the text to a "mobile" number - for example, "send text message to my wife mobile" or something like that, and it should do the trick. It can be hit or miss though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanked by:
    kct1975 likes this.

Most people have a home, cell and work number or at least cell and work number. It isn't that you want to text them at multiple numbers. Having a contact with a different name just with a mobile number isn't a very good solution to a huge issue.