Bricked LG G2, Stuck at TWRP, No Download mode!

Stefanakii

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I bricked my phone after doing an OTA Update with root and TWRP installed.. I've never had this hard time to unbrick a phone.. I am stuck at recovery, can't go to Download mode, G2 Drivers didn't work for the PC so I installed Universal drivers and it got recognised. I follow this step-by-step thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476 and everything is good until I get to flash the stock kdz. It says that my phone is not connected to the PC and can't continue flashing. I really need help on that because I can't get out of this by now and I really need to get it back on track.. :(

Stefanakii

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Also my adb drivers work and all, and I tried transfering CM with adb sideload, but TWRP gives me some kind of an error when the transfer completes and doesn't let finish the transfer..

Weston Madsen

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
before trying anything else just type in these commands

What worked for me was from the TWRP terminal command was to type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

then hit enter

type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

then hit enter and reboot.

got help from the IRC xda-devs for the second step to complete the fix.

Ritesh Shahi

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

then hit enter

type

after tying countless methods to restore by g2. this is one that worked. Thanks a lot!!

hayyagahoy

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

then hit enter

type

You ROCK!!

I tried almost everything out there and was about to give up. Just happened to stumble across this and it worked right away.

Thanks so much!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That says that the update ate a couple of partitions. All I can say is "wow". It's akin to the "little typo" that caused heartbleed.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

then hit enter

type

Damn....you are awesome. TWRP was installed when the latest VZW update came. It was relative's phone and it was accidentally accepted.
It bricked out and would only loop between the LG Logo and TWRP. LG would not recognize it and it would not go into DOWNLOAD mode so I could flash back to stock.

I installed the Universal Drivers and got ADB to recognize it. I had tried the above commands before and was very careful to type in everything exactly correct, BUT.....the original instructions were ..."sdcc.1" and had a space between the period and the "1"

I was frustrated and figured the extra space could be the issue....

Typed in both lines of code from adb shell and rebooted.

Back in Business.....

Now it appears that I have everything the way it was before the latest VZW update.

I am still rooted, on 4.2.2 and still have TWRP installed.

They are on my plan and using a spare and much older phone for now. They mailed me the phone on Thursday. I got it on Friday, and was 2 hours away from throwing in the towel and calling Asurion to file a claim--since I thought this one was SOL.

You saved me nearly $100. Now I can mail it back tomorrow and she'll have it on Tuesday.

dream_device

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Updated my new LG G2 to Kitkat 4.4.2, rooted, installed TWRP, tried PAC rom and went back to stock, everything worked fine until I tried installing an update and got stuck in boot loop. Tried everything, nothing worked until your instructions (thank you!!!), got back into factory condition, started setting everything up again and tried updating to 4.4.2 (without re-rooting). Got back into same boot loop except this time I've ended up stuck on the LG logo without being able to even get into TWRP. I do have a Nandroid backup on my computer. Help! What, if anything, can I do?

Update: Managed to get back into TWRP, can get into download mode now but don't know how to use it, otherwise still stuck.

Last edited:

Marlon Garcia

May 15, 2014
Visit site

then hit enter

type

So how can i update it via OTA?? by the way im rooted using IOroot then i installed AutoRec App to use TWRP..
is there any way i can update my phone?? Thanks

Acer Henderson

May 16, 2014
Visit site
i have a g2 vs980 and just bricked last night on twrp and now im stuck. when i reboot ( even with a normal reboot ) on twrp and i dont have download mode anymore. ive been lookin all over the internet for a way to get the command propt way in adb (hope yo know what im saying) but yeah i cant find any information about it
thanks if you guys have any advice feel free to contact me. [[email removed per site rules]]

Last edited by a moderator:

foundittoo

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem as the original poster and it occurred the same way. The difference is I'm using the lastest CWM instead of TWRP. Is there anyway I can use those commands with CWM or otherwise solve this? After hours upon hours I'm almost ready to throw in the towel here...LOL! Thanks.

Acer Henderson

May 16, 2014
Visit site
i have a g2 vs980 and just bricked last night on twrp and now im stuck. when i reboot ( even with a normal reboot ) on twrp and i dont have download mode anymore. ive been lookin all over the internet for a way to get the command propt way in adb (hope yo know what im saying) but yeah i cant find any information about it
thanks if you guys have any advice feel free to contact me. [[email removed per site rules]]

Well. I ended up with a completely dead g2 when the battery ran out to 0% got it replaced. NEVER ******* USING TWRP AGAIN.

alex42gp

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone please tell me how to make the command line appear? When I enter into Terminal Command I get an interface that looks like a file manager.

Thanks in advance.