How hard is it to replace a screen on a Moto G?

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So I found a Moto G that was bidding fairly low. I didn't know why until today when I saw a cracked screen. How hard would it be to replace it myself? I've built a few PCs before so it can't be that hard right?

Fpmpgk0.png

Yeah that's the only frontal pic that was on the ebay page for it. I'm thinking of getting a Moto G to mess around with the software.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As someone who spent years repairing cellphones, I'll give you my standard advice. Unless you've worked on that model before, DON'T!

We see people coming to forums all the time who opened the phone up to do a "simple" repair but now "it has this little problem". When they go in to fix that problem (which usually requires replacing something), it now has "this other little problem". Eventually they've spent what a new phone would have cost and it still has a problem. (It's like gambling - if you're losing, double your bets. It's the sure path to a win - for the house.)

Then you bring it to various repair shops until you find one willing to work on a phone you've worked on - with the understanding that you pay them so much per hour until they find everything wrong with it, even if the repair estimate is way more than you're willing to pay.

Bringing a phone with a cracked screen to a shop to have it repaired usually turns out to be much cheaper in the long run.

Notice that, in the video, even someone who looks as if he's done this many times before, had a bit of a problem getting some of the connectors off. A person with no experience will usually end up with broken connectors and/or torn cables. And if the connector you break is the end on the logic board, you're going to be buying a new logic board - which isn't that cheap. If you bend a pin under during the reassembly, that's another logic board. And it's so easy to break those little connectors. That's why new techs spend days practicing on totally unrepairable phones first. It's like using cadavers in med school, so the student doesn't kill live people. If you slice into the aorta of a cadaver, oops. If you do it to a formerly live patient, he becomes a cadaver. The same thing happens with cellphones. Remember peeling off the copper with that connector? Peel it just a bit too far, or a bit too hard, and wave goodbye. Practicing on a dead phone, it's just oops, and you learn not to pull that way or that hard - for the next one you try.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Save yourself the time and possible additional costs should the repair go bad. Get a new Moto G impossible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
A 16 GB US GSM Moto G is $200 off contract, direct from Motorola. I don't see any reason to risk trying to repair one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87