Transferring Windows Phone texts/SMS to Android

Tung T Nguyen

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm using a HTC 8X, it's unable to install Transfer my data on my phone. So I did the 6-phase-way by Windyo, but from phase 2, it's very complicated and I couldn't do it. Can anyone help me convert my msg file to xml to import to my new Android phone? I will be very grateful if someone help me :)
My msg file's here: 1drv.ms/1IJeDxA
Thanks all!!

Plentym

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Great post & thankyou. If anyone comes across a reasonable explanation for the offset values used between the Windows Epoch and what is in Column 2 I'd be interested. I've mucked about for a while now with various figures, and nothing seems to give results that are consistently close to original values in my experience.

Windyo

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Sorry all for the late reply, I actually don't check android central that much.

Andy :
The self closing tags more or less what John Gay send, except a self closing xml tag is just <phone number = "0235452" />. There are two in the .msg file if I remember correctly.

If John's version works, that would be interesting, so please do provide feedback !

Nesdam :
that's exactly it. Using the contacts + messages backup, you get the .MSG file that you can use for my method.

Plentym :
I have searched and searched, and I didn't find an explanation for the offset. The value I put as an offset gives a coherent result for the last couple of months, and then the values get

Sahem1992

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
thanks
but after phase 2 it's complicated
i see the great table in excel
but it didn't work for me
can i give you the msg file and you make it for me :p
i just don't understand these phases :'(
can you do this for me ?

Thomas Martorano

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Awesome post, you helped us an awful lot. The only thing you didn't mention was to use the "auto" function within the Android App. Having a tough time selecting 200 for now, be able to buy ful version in the near future.

sharpycl

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I found a very simple two step process to move SMS from Windows Phone 8.1 to Android.
Use the Transfer My Data app on the WinPhone 8.1 phone - on my gf's phone it is in the main app window (I think it was part of the 8.1 upgrade). Touch the 3 dots (...), select "export to SD Card". Let it find all your Contacts, SMS and MMS messages. Select all. Select Start.
After it has exported your data move the SD card to your Android device.
On Android get the VMG Converter from Animated Oak Entertainment. Free version converts 200, $1.99 version converts at least 10,000 (I had 10,060). Let it find the vmsg file from the WinPhone8.1. Select all (or whichever ones you want). Start and wait. It took about 10 minutes to import the 10k I had.

I imported the contacts first.

(This only took about 20 minutes total - after several hours of web searching)

Just letting everyone know that the above method worked!

I now have all my text messages from my old phone. It doesn't import MMS though.

Albert Fonteno

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
John that was great the app worked fine and i going to by the $1.99 version as i have about 8k messages. i was panicking because i had to have those messages most was business numbers and info...thanks a bunch for the info!!!

worked perfectly well worth the $2

Last edited by a moderator:

boyz_ankur

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I found a very simple two step process to move SMS from Windows Phone 8.1 to Android.
Use the Transfer My Data app on the WinPhone 8.1 phone - on my gf's phone it is in the main app window (I think it was part of the 8.1 upgrade). Touch the 3 dots (...), select "export to SD Card". Let it find all your Contacts, SMS and MMS messages. Select all. Select Start.
On Android get the VMG Converter from Animated Oak Entertainment. Free version converts 200, $1.99 version converts at least 10,000 (I had 10,060). Let it find the vmsg file from the WinPhone8.1. Select all (or whichever ones you want). Start and wait. It took about 10 minutes to import the 10k I had.

+1000 to this! Thanks a lot for this. It works perfectly and made things a lot easier for me.

ShaQBlogs

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
PHASE 5 : Bored yet ?
1/ Use this s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=43567415205944439186 template[/URL] to convert it to an xml format that can be read by your phone.
NOTE : this is a template, not a macro. You WILL have some manual work to do.
2/ Copy that last column into a text file with sublime text
3/ add header and footer :
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<!--File Created By SMS Backup & Restore v7.42 on 10/07/2015 09:53:08-->
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="sms.xsl"?>
<smses count="YOURNMBEROFSMS">

</smses>
Stuck in phase 5. I'm unable to download the template. I get a 0 kb php file.
Can someone share the template pls.

ShaQBlogs

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, use the easier method I posted earlier and several people have confirmed worked for them.
This is the first thing I attempted after hitting this thread. But the SMS/MMS option was not showing in the Transfer My Data app. Backing up of contacts was the only option it displayed.
I now uninstalled it, rebooted my phone and reinstalled the app. And tadaaa...it showed up!

Purchased the VMG converter. This was real simple to transfer. All done in few mins.
Thanks!

Bye bye windows...the windows OS for phone is super junk. I thought i'll give it a shot...but wasted hard earned money on it.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Wow. Thanks so much for posting this. I was ready to concede defeat at transferring my messages from my WP to Android. This worked perfectly. Definitely worth the $1.99. Thanks again.

Robert336

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I made sms backup on Nokia 520 with contacts+SMS backup, and I have .hsh and .msg files.
Is there any way to convert so I can transfer to android?

I tried that manual method, but I dont work in excel. Couldnt do it. Is there any different way?

pampurio97

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I made sms backup on Nokia 520 with contacts+SMS backup, and I have .hsh and .msg files.
Is there any way to convert so I can transfer to android?

I tried that manual method, but I dont work in excel. Couldnt do it. Is there any different way?
I posted one of the methods on Medium @ matteocontrini.
If you have issues, send me a private message/email.

Last edited:

ddemar

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the great tip regarding VMG Converter. I have used the Transfer My Data app to export my SMS data to the SD card in my Nokia phone. Unfortunately, I can't follow the step, "move the SD card to your Android device," because my device is a Galaxy S6 and it has no SD slot. Do you know if there's a way to get the .vmg file onto the Android device without the use of an SD card? Can I just copy via USB?

adhiemsumitro

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I did this recommendation for 4000+ SMSs and it works great -- 2 minutes for windows phone parts, 2MB+ vmsg filesize, 18 minutes for conversion on android phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95