What is backed up with "backup and reset"?

ZachCast

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, my One X has been horrible with battery so I took it upon myself to reset it back to factory. I exported my texts to an email through the phone and I figured everything else was being backed up to my gmail account like it states in the 'backup and reset" section. But low and behold, I've got squat coming back after doing a reset. Is there some special trick to restoring a backup or am I hosed?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what you have set to sync in your Google account. Normally your apps, contacts (if they're Account contacts, which they should be for this very reason) and email are backed up. Your apps' data isn't. So if you're almost at the top level of a game and you factory reset, unless you backed the data up separately (Helium is good for that), you're starting over again.

But if you have all your syncing turned off, nothing got backed up.

Posting here is free, so always ask first. Then, if you're still not sure, tell us what you're not sure of. We don't mind walking you through something step by step. In fact, I prefer doing that - so I don't have to tell you that you made an unrecoverable mistake. "It worked" are the nicest words I see here. ("Thanks" is nice, but "you kept me from losing my data" is nicer.)

ZachCast

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well see I did, and still do have contacts checked off in the gmail account settings. All that happens now is there are a whole bunch of emails that show up which I figured out how to hide through my contact book settings so it should only show "contacts." The only reason I can imagine why they didn't sync is because they were transferred from an iphone to my one x at radio shack when I got it with one of those little computers

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
When they transferred the contacts, it's likely they were created as "phone" contacts which are NOT backed up to your Google account.

ZachCast

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
When they transferred the contacts, it's likely they were created as "phone" contacts which are NOT backed up to your Google account.

Is there a way I can make all of them default too Google as oppose to phone? A couple of my contacts have Phone and Google in the edit menu but not all of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress