Any volume leveling apps?

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I didn't see any other place that seemed appropriate.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good app for leveling the volume of my entire library?

Before the motor blew in my car & my S4 died 3 days later I had seen an article somewhere for that very thing but I can't remember where I saw it. Thought I'd saved it to evernote or bookmarked it but apparently not.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Volume leveling apps

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I didn't see any other place that seemed appropriate.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good app for leveling the volume of my entire library?

Before the motor blew in my car & my S4 died 3 days later I had seen an article somewhere for that very thing but I can't remember where I saw it. Thought I'd saved it to evernote or bookmarked it but apparently not.

Thanks

Do you mean an equalizer?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site

Do you mean an equalizer?

No, it was an actual app. With an EQ you're still going to have issues with dynamics because older recordings are quieter vs newer ones, etc..

That's why I'm so frustrated with myself because I cannot for the life of me remember on which site I saw the blasted thing. I'm trying every tech/gadget site I get newsletters from but so far, no luck.

Thanks for responding, though! :cool:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

No, it was an actual app. With an EQ you're still going to have issues with dynamics because older recordings are quieter vs newer ones, etc..

That's why I'm so frustrated with myself because I cannot for the life of me remember on which site I saw the blasted thing. I'm trying every tech/gadget site I get newsletters from but so far, no luck.

Thanks for responding, though! :cool:

Have you tried searching on Play? Maybe seeing names will jog the memory.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like what you want is called "normalizing" the music so it's all relatively the same volume. May want to try searching that in your key words.

Just a word on it that I picked up from a radio DJ that also used to work for a company that did just that. There was a trend in the industry to make music louder, as if louder = better. In doing so, it meant there is now less dynamic range in the music. Quieter sections (as the artists intended) are brought up in volume, essentially changing some of the mood/impact of the music after betting normalized. I don't know if that would be of concern to you, but I mention it in case you're any sort of audio purest.

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like what you want is called "normalizing" the music so it's all relatively the same volume.....

...Just a word on it that I picked up from a radio I don't know if that would be of concern to you, but I mention it in case you're any sort of audio purest.

Thanks. Didn't have a chance to post back last night but I found a Top 10 page that mentioned that very term. The only app the site recommended that sounded like what I was looking for costs $25. WTF? Thanks but no thanks. I believe it was mp3Gain Pro.

I don't mind paying for an app but for that price I'd rather just sit with Audacity & go through all 280+ GB of my music, song by song.

I'm not a purist nor even really an audiophile. I'm just very picky about how my music sounds through whichever speakers it's coming from (If that makes any sense).

It'd be nice to go from, say, Tom Waits' "Heart of Saturday Night" to Korn's "Freak on a Leash" without out blowing out my bluetooth speaker or my eardrums. But also, like you mentioned, I don't want to destroy the original dynamics of the song, either.

I see snowpiercer suggested an app-Thank you!- & I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks to everyone! I'll post back after I have some time to check out this app.

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site

Well, the link didn't work but I was still able to find the app by searching for "podlanica" in the Play Store. Oddly enough, I had tried the EQ side of the app when I still had my old LG Optimus T. At the time I wasn't particularly impressed with it as an EQ.

So far, though, for this purpose it seems to work pretty well. It has not affected the songs' dynamics at all. While it's not perfect, the transitions from really loud, bass-heavy songs like anything by Korn or, say Afro Celt Sound System (or pretty much any genre recorded after about 1995) to more mellow tunes like, say, Gerry Rafferty, Dan Fogelberg (jury's still out on him because of re-mastered stuff vs the original recordings), Tom Waits or Bob Dylan aren't quite so dramatic & thereby potentially damaging.

I keep the app set at about 9/15 and adjust my phone/PowerAmp accordingly. That seems to be the most effective route for me personally.

So, I guess for want of something more original, 2 Thumbs Up for snowpiercer's suggestion! :D Thank you!! And Thanks! to everyone for your help!!

Legit247

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
Well, the link didn't work but I was still able to find the app by searching for "podlanica" in the Play Store. Oddly enough, I had tried the EQ side of the app when I still had my old LG Optimus T. At the time I wasn't particularly impressed with it as an EQ.

So far, though, for this purpose it seems to work pretty well. It has not affected the songs' dynamics at all. While it's not perfect, the transitions from really loud, bass-heavy songs like anything by Korn or, say Afro Celt Sound System (or pretty much any genre recorded after about 1995) to more mellow tunes like, say, Gerry Rafferty, Dan Fogelberg (jury's still out on him because of re-mastered stuff vs the original recordings), Tom Waits or Bob Dylan aren't quite so dramatic & thereby potentially damaging.

I keep the app set at about 9/15 and adjust my phone/PowerAmp accordingly. That seems to be the most effective route for me personally.

So, I guess for want of something more original, 2 Thumbs Up for snowpiercer's suggestion! :D Thank you!! And Thanks! to everyone for your help!!

I just obtained one app called Precise Volume from G. Play store. It should be the perfect thing you're looking for

I didn't check the date of thread though

Last edited by a moderator:

navgirl

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site

I didn't check the date of thread though

Well you helped me anyway. Tired of blasting my ears out on the transition and then having to delete the song from my playlist so it doesn't happen again. Didn't find podlanica, so trying Precise Volume at work tomorrow.Thanks for the suggestion.