How do I disable background data for every app?

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Restricting backsground data for every app

Hello Everyone,

I can disable background data for each app but I can't find an option where I can do the same for every app with one tap.
Please help.

Last edited:

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Restricting backsground data for every app

What phone do you have. It's usually on the screen for the power saving option.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think Madd is right. Settings>Data Usage, if you click menu, that should bring up options to restrict background data, and I believe that will apply to all apps.

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

My phone is Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2. I don't think there is something like *power saving* option in this phone.
Thanks for responding back.

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

What phone do you have. It's usually on the screen for the power saving option.

My phone is Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2. I don't think there is something like *power saving* option in this phone.

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

I think Madd is right. Settings>Data Usage, if you click menu, that should bring up options to restrict background data, and I believe that will apply to all apps.

In Data Usage I can disable background data for each app individually but can't find an option where I can disable for all by one tap.
Is there any app Play Store which can help me with this problem?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I think the Power Saving route only applies to the Galaxy S5, I have Power Saving, but there is no option to restrict data.

I take it that you are on a very limited data plan, like I was until recently.

The power saving mode should be available at least from Android 4.0, I think. It should be a green icon on the pull down shade if you swipe it across, or put it there from the available shortcut icons for the shade. It may not be on the S duos 2, and it won't help with restricting data anyway.

If you go to Connections - Data Usage and touch the menu button you should see the Restrict Background Data check box. Again it may not be on yours but I would be surprised if not.

I am trying to remember more tips on for cutting down on data, but for the life of me I cannot remember right now. I may come back.

For the moment to conserve data if that's what you want - you should have Master Sync off (you can manually turn it on for brief periods), disable the Google+ app, also go to General - Accounts - Google, touch your address, and turn off syncing for photos and anything you don't strictly need.
Go to the Play Store app, open, go to the app settings and check update over wifi only.

upema5uh.jpg
yjusumuj.jpg
8eneqepa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Thank you so much Madd54 you have helped much. In Data Usage I didn't know the option of Restrict Back... by touching the Menu Button.
I have only 1 GB of data for 30 days which costs around 2.5$(150 INR), very expensive if you are in India. :)
The power saving mode is unfortunately not available for my phone. And with 1500 MaH battery it becomes very difficult to last 12 hours.
By the way you really helped much, by uploading screenshots and answering in detail to my response.
Thanks again.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you so much Madd54 you have helped much. In Data Usage I didn't know the option of Restrict Back... by touching the Menu Button.
I have only 1 GB of data for 30 days which costs around 2.5$(150 INR), very expensive if you are in India. :)
The power saving mode is unfortunately not available for my phone. And with 1500 MaH battery it becomes very difficult to last 12 hours.
By the way you really helped much, by uploading screenshots and answering in detail to my response.
Thanks again.

In Madd's provided photos, if you uncheck Mobile Data, that will kill the data radios completely, until you turn them on again. There are apps like AutomateIt that will allow you to configure a profile to kill cell internet radios and turn on the wifi ones so you can connect at home if you can.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks again.
That's very nice of you to say, and you are very welcome.

I was on 1gb but I could pay an extra £5 (UK) for every 500mb but I tried to keep it to 1 - 1.5gb. I can imagine how expensive it is in such a large country with limited networks.
You know you can set a limit on mobile data, and a warning before you approach 1gb, in the data usage screen. Looking down that screen you can see what is using data.
Set Location, if on, to GPS only until you need a data signal.
The Battery screens are useful especially if you have a problem, and the battery history screen (touch the grey graph) shows, among other things, if you have had a clear signal which saves battery.
Even better is the GSam battery app, especially with the icons on the bottom.

Join in the Samsung Note 3 forums and it gives you some good ideas that relate to other Samsung models.

INSERTED LATE: Also here, http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=61182
but it's a bit old now. - - - -

You can also try the Android Central Community forums such as Introductions and General Help and How To for further help, and useful Ambassador guides to Android features.

asasyres.jpg
azytu6ev.jpg
myvu7yta.jpg
re2azene.jpg
4u2anera.jpg
ru5y9ugy.jpg

Last edited:

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

You are right that by uncheck Mobile Data I can turn off Data completely but I wanted to find more about Background Data. When I uncheck Background Data and turn off Sync there is no reduction of my data balance. Turning Mobile Data OF/ON frequently was not what I wanted so I thought of finding some other solution which I know know.
And thanks for suggesting the app AutomateIt, if I fails to understand the functioning of app I shall definitely write to you.
Thank you so much! Thanks again.

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Thanks again!
I am really thankful to you.
5 GBP is really expensive if we are talking about 500 MB.
You really put big efforts in order to explain me. I have become fan of you.
I wonder if you would mind the private messages whenever I need help.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks again!
I am really thankful to you.
5 GBP is really expensive if we are talking about 500 MB.
You really put big efforts in order to explain me. I have become fan of you.
I wonder if you would mind the private messages whenever I need help.

Are you referring to Madd or me?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

You can PM me if you are stuck occasionally, but I am not very knowledgeable here. You may get quicker and better responses by posting a thread but I see there is not a forum for your phone.
I will help if I can. I just regurgitate answers I remember, and I "love" posting screenshots

The Ambassadors here like @Golfdriver97 are awesome, and they already spend so much of their own time helping people.
Keep in touch by any means.
Just very occasionally I come up with an idea, or an answer that works.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

utksingh

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

You can PM me if you are stuck occasionally, but I am not very knowledgeable here. You may get quicker and better responses by pos...... Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to you again.
I believe that you always come to idea or solution whenever needed, the word *occasionally* doesn't match your personality. :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

You and Madd are of helping nature. You both are great.
I have become fan of both of you. And may I send private messages in future to you?

Sure. I just didn't want to say go ahead when you meant Madd...:)

Although, Madd does have a point that you might get quicker help if you make a thread. If you catch me on a bad day at work, I may not be able to answer for hours.