Wireless or Bluetooth external HDD

contrasteve

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I've been working on a wireless storage solution for music in my truck that I could connect via my Sammy Tab pro 8.4 or note 3 ( connected to the stereo via Stereo mini) I've dealt with the power by mounting a 5 port usb power block with 5a per port under the center console and I'm using the Patriot Node wireless 2.5" HDD enclosure with wifi. Apparently I got a bad one and am RMAing the old one...my question is could I not make this or any other external HDD bluetooth capable with a bluetooth adapter ?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that the Bluetooth protocol is appropriate for this. Bluetooth file transfers require that the device that is currently storing the file initiate the transfer. There's no way to "mount" a drive via Bluetooth so that you could browse the contents like you can over WiFI.

You could potentially use a wired hard drive with a USB OTG cable. I know the Note 3 supports it (as long as the drive has external power) and I believe the Tap Pro does as well.

contrasteve

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to avoid a usb anything , and I made it work ...just not the way I wanted. I tried the Patriot Gauntlet Node and the Seagate wireless plus , both have proprietary apps in G Play and my Tab pro 8.4 and Note 3 can see everything on both w/less HDD's . However being somewhat of a music snob I listen to FLAC or WAV files both Apps are capable of playing them but their players make these files sound just a little bit better than AM radio. when I try to use Poweramp ( my favorite player for dozens of reasons ) the music search function sees the drives wirelessly but that stops at the root folders . Poweramp or anyother player Ive tried can actually see the album folders, so using a UTG and having wires is the only way I could make it work but not with either of those 2 drives for a couple of reasons , so nw I have a 1tb 7200 rpm 2.5 HD in a thin enclosure with a usb 3.0 connector.