Post root reviews/comparisons

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right place to ask or even worth asking.

I have been doing intensive research on Android phones as I try not make such a purchase/decision without all the information. I've watched and read countless reviews of all the phones available to me (on VZW) and they aren't really giving me the information I need/want.

Being fairly tech savvy I plan to root n' rom and make my phone my own. To me this is half the reason to go Android. What I don't get from standard reviews is an idea of how these phones are after they've been tweaked.

For example: I watch/read reviews of the DInc. but they are from 6-7 months ago and tell me little about the phone's current state. Is there somewhere where I can find out what the ultimate potential of such a phone is once hacked and rom'd? How are the battery issues addressed/fixed - what are the benchmarks achievable on certain roms - basically if one where to buy one today and put in the work - can it hold its own with today's offerings?

I try to glean this information off threads about certain roms at XDA here etc., but it's all fragmented information.

tldr? <--
I'm don't mean to go on and on, but here's what I would like in a nutshell - I would like to have a comparison review of the Droid X, Fascinate and DInc after they have been rooted and have been o'clocked and ROM'd to their fullest potential (this is subjective to an extent).

Further example: I "think" that if I got a Fascinate and hacked away at it (and put a cover on that plastic back) it could be a monster of a phone thanks to that screen and chipset, but I really can't be certain (out of the box and un-rom'd it looks like a sad sad phone to me). Does this make sense. *Luca Brasi voice* I am going to leave you now because I know you are busy.

Thanks

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The best place to find out information about each phone's potential is XDA. Each phone has a development forum, and threads about ROMS and hacking will be there. A quick read through those should give you a good idea about what the ROM is capable of.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
XDA site is just a magical place.

That is what I had been doing, but it's hard to get ROM reviews only assorted people saying "Thanks" and reporting errors and problems. I guess I just wish someone compiled and reviewed the roms. I will do some more digging there.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
for the most part reviews online about the phone wont give you anything other than the same. You've read online such as the amount of memory and screen resolution. They don't tell you anything about rooting or how it functions in real life.

Read through the threads. That's the only way.
The bugs and errors on roms is actually something you need to take notes on
You want roms with little to no bugs. And for the most part they don't differ by much.
You should focus on the change logs for features

For deciding what phone you want you should be able to figure that out by the reviews online and the amount of roms/support for the phone.
Because the only real way to figure out what rom you want to run is by trying it out yourself.

For example, the evo has sense while the epic has touchwiz.
Keyboard vs no keyboard.
Hummingbird vs snapdragon.

And then the evo has a huge dev community the epic is slowly growing.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

bdotto14

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion goes along with the others. Go read the changelogs of the different ROM's available for each phone. This will give you an idea of their 'hackable' features vs. the typical review of a stock phone. I would look at cyanogenmod as it is very stable and one I go to often on my Nexus One. I would also see which ROM's interest you on XDA and see if the are on github for a changelog.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
To me there is 2 choices, dinc, and fascinate. Dinc is more hackable simply because its htc and theres a bigger community. But if you go with the fascinate, cm6 is headed to it so you should be A okay.

Battery life with either of them is all in how you use it, but after rooting and smart underclocking/overclocking battery life will be just fine.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd get the fascinate, dinc is gonna die soon.

Ps - if you can wait, wait. Because good stuff is headed to verizon either late this year or Q1 of next year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87