My SCH-i510 will not charge or turn on, how can I fix this?

Rex DeLorean

May 2, 2015
Visit site
SCH-i510 Will Not Charge or Turn On

I have no idea which sub-forum to post this in, so I'm using the "Ask a Question" forum. I don't see a specific section for the SCH-i510.

For some reason, I cannot get my old phone to turn on or charge. I have tried numerous chargers, with the battery in and out, leaving it charging for days. I do not see an indicator light that tells me when it's plugged in, but frankly I don't even remember if it has one. What can I try before tossing this? I can think of a million uses for it if i get it to work! Thank you.

Model: SCH-i510
SKU: SCHi510RAV

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: SCH-i510 Will Not Charge or Turn On

I have no idea which sub-forum to post this in, so I'm using the "Ask a Question" forum.
No problem - you have a question.

For some reason, I cannot get my old phone to turn on or charge.
How old is "old"? If the battery has been sitting in the phone for a year or two without being charged you probably need a new battery. If you can measure the battery voltage, if it's about 2 volts it can be force-charged by using a charger than doesn't check the state of charge. (Most of the universal chargers will work.) It might not pay, though - a new battery is a little over $5.

I have tried numerous chargers, with the battery in and out, leaving it charging for days. I do not see an indicator light that tells me when it's plugged in, but frankly I don't even remember if it has one.
If the battery is below a certain point (it's not critical so it can vary by half a volt between phones of the same model, but it represents a small fraction of a percent charge) the phone won't even try to charge it.

Buy a new battery. If there's more wrong, and it doesn't pay to fix the phone (you can buy better ones new for $50), you're out a little over $5. If you smoke, you probably smoke that much or more in 2 days.

If it were mine, though, I wouldn't bother. I donated a Gingerbread phone to a battered women's shelter when I upgraded, and it was working fine (and had 2 spare batteries and a charger). Eventually, a cellphone loses almost all value. I keep an old flip phone in working condition, but that's in case I may be in a situation where the phone could get wet, broken or stolen. I can replace it for a few dollars.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: SCH-i510 Will Not Charge or Turn On

The battery may be bad, but I think your symptoms point to a hardware problem. According to this.... http://www.manualslib.com/manual/416534/Samsung-Sch-I535.html?page=33 you should have an led indicator for charging. If that's not lighting up at all, then the phone isn't even detecting that it's plugged in. Also, while I've never used your phone (aka Droid Charge), every phone I have used will also have some sort of on screen status when plugged in. Usually it won't stay on, but plugging it in or quickly pressing and releasing the power button would show some sort of charging animation. Even if you take the battery out, as you said you did, you should at least get a missing battery notice. This again points to a hardware and not a battery problem IMHO.

You said you tried different chargers. Does that mean you also tried new USB cables? Those are common to go bad and result in phones not detecting being plugged in. I kinda doubt this would be your issue, but it's usually the first place I suggest looking into. It's possible the USB port in the phone has gone bad. If it's just a little weak, wiggling the cable plug inside the port or pushing it harder than normal into it can give intermittent connections similar to a bad cable. If it's a complete break, then you wouldn't get any connection period.

My suggestion if you want to keep the phone is to find a repair shop to look at it, but given the phone's age, it's probably just as cheap and easier to buy a slightly upgraded phone.