Why is my Google keyboard personal dictionary missing and how can I get it back?

A

AC Question

Google Keyboard Personal Dictionary Missing

The "Personal Dictionary" option of the Google keyboard is gone, also when I try to add a new word by pressing on it, doesn't give me the "press again to add" option.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Keyboard Personal Dictionary Missing

The "Personal Dictionary" option of the Google keyboard is gone, also when I try to add a new word by pressing on it, doesn't give me the "press again to add" option.

Welcome to Android Central!

Have you tried uninstalling the keyboard and reinstalling it?

mikedillin

May 13, 2013
Visit site

yep me too I tried really hard to find it it is missing and I did uninstall and reinstall the application it still missing I hope they didn't remove it I used to use it as a shortcut for my phone number my address my title email and many other things. It was great just like my BlackBerry and it only took 4+ years to create and one upgrade to remove!! does anybody out there have an old version of Google keyboard the one prior to the most current or does anybody know how I can get the old version off my old phone and then side load it into my current phone?

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This is discouraging. Apparently, the latest upgrade to the Google keyboard features transfer of one's personal dictionary to other devices.
Yet on my new LG G4 with the Google keyboard installed and chosen, the personal dictionary is nowhere to be found.
Google's instructions to find and edit the personal dictionary don't work. It's simple missing.
Help!

Posted via the Android Central App

RioZuni

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
This is discouraging. Apparently, the latest upgrade to the Google keyboard features transfer of one's personal dictionary to other devices.
Yet on my new LG G4 with the Google keyboard installed and chosen, the personal dictionary is nowhere to be found.
Google's instructions to find and edit the personal dictionary don't work. It's simple missing.
Help!

Posted via the Android Central App

RioZuni

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
The Personal Dictionary has been relocated to SETTINGS → Language & Input → Personal Dictionary. The problem with this change is that the dictionary is no longer accessible from the keyboard as it was before. Indeed, because of this relocation, it appears to be "missing."

RioZuni

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

Additionally, the SETTINGS widget has no "Language & input" option for a home screen shortcut. The inability to directly access the Personal Dictionary prevents assigning a shortcut to a user defined word or phrase (I use it for address fill) unless you navigate thru the Android system via SETTINGS.

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions.
As a former Nexus user, I'm well aware of the "SETTINGS → Language & Input → Personal Dictionary" access. BUT on my new LG G4, the "Personal Dictionary" option no longer appears under "language & Input. I am using the Google Now Launcher, not one of LG's, and I'm using "List View." I'm also using the Google Keyboard. (Yes, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the keyboard, but to no avail.)

TackyCookie

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

does anybody out there have an old version of Google keyboard the one prior to the most current or does anybody know how I can get the old version off my old phone and then side load it into my current phone?

People think I'm crazy, but I take a backup every month or so of all my APKs using SD Maid for this exact reason. Trying to find me personal dictionary was driving me absolutely insane today - WHY would they remove that?? It's crazy.

Just to confirm though, uninstalling and re-installing to a previous version (com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-v21203 in my case) did work, and I was able to keep my previous dictionary. The sync option is gone though.

Edit: Also, this being my first post and all I'm obviously new here, but I'm guessing there are rules regarding actually posting APKs? Would be pretty dumb of me to get banned on my first post by doing that...

Last edited:

Tigers Kitten

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions.
As a former Nexus user, I'm well aware of the "SETTINGS → Language & Input → Personal Dictionary" access. BUT on my new LG G4, the "Personal Dictionary" option no longer appears under "language & Input. I am using the Google Now Launcher, not one of LG's, and I'm using "List View." I'm also using the Google Keyboard. (Yes, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the keyboard, but to no avail.)

I am using Note 4 with kit kat, there is NO personal dictionary on the device anywhere, its should be located in text correction. most of us here like Ole Kristensen know our way around the settings enough to locate Language and input.
THE PERSONAL DICTIONARY IS GONE no thanks to the last update of GKB. if one wants the personal dictionary that was sadly omitted from the last update for google keyboard, one must update to the newest version of GKB 4.1.22123.2053724 it was released June 30th

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
New Android Central user here, but long time Android user. I have an HTC One M8 on Verizon, stock Lollipop, Google keyboard installed. My personal dictionary has entries that have existed since KitKat, but, now when I navigate to Settings > Language and Input .... Personal Dictionary, it opens up a dialog to select the language, and no matter which one I choose (All Languages, English, English (US)), the dialog dims and then reappears. I cannot access the dictionary at all. I've cleared the cache, deleted all data, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app, no luck.

Anyone have any insight? Existing entries work while using the keyboard. But I cant edit or add. Also of note, when I cleared all app data, my existing entries still remained.

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Long time android user as well.

I am also having the same problem as therealasd with my HTC One M9 with google keyboard. I can't add words to the dictionary, either when typing or manually when going into the personal dictionary through settings. My biggest issue is that i can't sync my personal dictionary from my samsung galaxy s4 to my htc one m9, since this would take away the need to build most of my personal dictionary anyway. Is it because we are running on the older version of lollipop? If anyone has any fixes, apart from uninstalling then reinstalling, i'm all ears.

nugroho2

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Probably this will help. Still google keyboard with your personal dictionary. But transferable to any Android version. Delete the xxx below. htt xxx p://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/tutorial-google-keyboard-indonesian-t3215118/post63080340#post63080340

nugroho2

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at my previous post (XDA). To me, it is best to use that modified Google Keyboard. Can be installed as a separate app. And all features of the keyboard is there, plus other nice new ones, including typing your dictionary in a separate app.

dj9281

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the latest update on my Samsung S7 and there is no personal dictionary anymore in language and input. Any ideas where I can find it?

ComeAlongBort

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the latest update on my Samsung S7 and there is no personal dictionary anymore in language and input. Any ideas where I can find it?

Hey everyone! I found a work-around for not having the Personal Dictionary in Marshmallow.

1: Go to Language and Input
2: Go to Virtual Keyboard
3: Select your keyboard (mine is Samsung Keyboard)
4: Click on Predictive Text, not the On/Off toggle but there is an actual menu if you click on the wording
5: Click on Text shortcuts. This is where you can add your own shortcuts which will come up when your typing.

Hope this helps! :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez