Increasing the size of SD card-how can I get info from one card to the next?

jarhead1979

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Increasing the size of SD card

Hello, I have a replacement SD card for my P6000 elephone lollipop 5.0. the existing 32gb has some apps on there along with other files. The new 64gb is blank. Can I simple:

Copy the files from 32gb to 64gb?

Or should I back them up and insert the new card, which will then mean I have to install the apps from the play store again?

Seems a straight forward task but can't find much information on it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Increasing the size of SD card

If you've moved apps to the SD card, you'll first have to copy them back to the phone.

Then copy everything from the 32GB card to the 64GB card. Put the 64GB card in the phone and move the apps back.

(Apps aren't "moved" like files. pieces of the apps are stored on the card, and inks to those pieces are left in the phone, pointing to where they are on the card. Copying the files from one card to another doesn't copy those pieces (they're not files, they're reserved areas), and the phone will be pointing to a place on the new card that there's no app in, so it'll tell you that the app isn't installed.)

If you don't have space to move all the apps back to the phone, use an app like App Backup & Restore to back the apps up, copy the backup to your computer, then you can reinstall the apps without having to wait for them to download. If there are apps with data that you don't want to lose (scores, data you entered, etc.), use Helium to save the data (then copy the carbon folder - that's Helium's folder - to your computer). You can use Helium to back up the apps too, but then you have to install Helium before you can restore any apps. App Backup & Restore saves apps as apk files, so you can just tap a file in the backup folder and it'll install.

Helium uses root to obtain permission to run. If your phone isn't rooted, you'll get a screen with a link to Helium to download a Windows program - that's legitimate. Download and run it, connect the phone to the computer and Helium will see the program and start backing up your data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87