Why can't I connect to certain websites on my home wifi?

Tataboutlamine

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Can't connect to certain websites on my home wifi.

Hi. I'm having a very annoying issue where my phone refuses to connect to certain websites when connected to my home wifi. Her is the full story and details :

My router is a Netgear wnr3500Lv2. I had some home network issues and couldn't remember my router credentials (i know i know...) so I factory reset the router and set it up again. I set the SSID, password and general settings to be the same as before so that my devices wouldn't have to be reconfigured.

My phone is a HTC One M8 with android 5.0.1. I had to restart it because the keyboard wasn't showing up (happens sometimes). Now, if I try to access some websites, I get ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED in the chrome browser (its the same in the default browser too). It works fine for other sites though.

exemple of working sites : google search engine, youtube, facebook, gamespot, polygon (partially), kickstarter loads but the layout is all fudged up, radio-canada.ca, ign,...
exemple of sites "not resolved" : reddit, all gawker sites, gamefaqs, star citizen's website, ...

I can access those sites without problems on my desktop (wired). I can also access them with my laptop (wireless) or my console. Only my phone refuses to do it. Hell, it can't even ping them. (I used PingTools). I thought it might be because of a security certificate my workplace had me install, being all confused or something, so I deleted all security certificates in the phone's security settings. Din't change anything.

It seemed to be a DNS problem so I set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (google) in my router. Didn't change anything.

I tried forgetting and setting up my wireless network again in my phone. Didn't change anything.

Resetting the phone doesn't do anything.

The router resets connections every time I change the settings so there has been many resets there.

I know I could do a factory reset of my phone, but I would really like not to go there yet.
Just to re-iterate, everything was working perfectly fine until I reinitialized my router.

Any one got any idea? I can give you any network configuration information you need if required.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't connect to certain websites on my home wifi.

Not using any vpn or compression software on your phone? I would do a cache clear on the browsers first up.

Shouldn't your routers DNS be pointing at your ISP or are you talking about internal DNS? Also it works fine just on mobile internet? Can you get someone else's phone to test?

Tataboutlamine

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

Uh. went to check what you asked for and what do you know. it works now. Guess I just had to let it simmer for a couple of hours. Weird. *confused*

Well thx anyway. It's the thought that counts ^^

aths83

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

Not using any vpn or compression software on your phone? I would do a cache clear on the browsers first up.

Shouldn't your routers DNS be pointing at your ISP or are you talking about internal DNS? Also it works fine just on mobile internet? Can you get someone else's phone to test?

I have the same problem as Tataboutlamine, but instead of WiFi it is on my 3G Data.
Twitter and Facebook, the apps as well as their webpages, both don't open on my cellphone on 3G data. Rest all websites open, including Instagram.

I did the following -
1. My phone connected to WiFi - ALL Websites open - no problem faced.
2. My phone connected to a friend's hotspot (he has a different network - AIRTEL) - ALL Websites open - no problem faced
3. Put his Airtel SIM in my phone - ALL Websites open - no problem faced
4. Put my sim in his phone - PROBLEM persists.

I raised this to my network company, but they hare not agreeing that this is their issue.

What could be the problem? Please help. Else I will be forced to change by Network Service provider.

byrnes201

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I know this is a year-old thread, but I wanted to use it because my phone has identical symptoms to the OP (also a one M8, same sites work/don't work). Does anyone have any ideas for what could be wrong?
I've already done the standard rebooting of all devices in order from the wall out. My phone can connect to other wifis, and both my laptop and other people's phones can connect to the wifi in question...just not my phone.
The error I'm getting for the malfunctioning sites is always "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE".
Thanks!

Aimenehabaieb

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem asth83
I cannot access to Facebook, Twitter instagram and yahoo
On navigator and apps
I am using 3g Data
When I use WiFi everything works good

forever482

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
Ok, I had the same problem where I'd be on wifi and be able to get onto Google and search and it'll load but certain websites would not load and also said on my email that my wifi wouldn't connect, I am by no means that knowledgable about the finer details of tech but I often mess around with my DNS etc however on my wifi settings pressed 'renew lease' and everything was back to normal and worked! Hope this can help someone.

ashlord666

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
Ok, I had the same problem where I'd be on wifi and be able to get onto Google and search and it'll load but certain websites would not load and also said on my email that my wifi wouldn't connect, I am by no means that knowledgable about the finer details of tech but I often mess around with my DNS etc however on my wifi settings pressed 'renew lease' and everything was back to normal and worked! Hope this can help someone.

On my laptop, I have zero issues using cabled connection but I have problems loading twitch and youtube. Most other sites load fine. Google is fine, microsoft.com is fine, and so is arstechnica, betanews, etc. At first I suspected the issue to be related to http2/spdy but it turned out not to be the case as I see crazy amounts of packet replays in wireshark.

I eventually solved it by going inside my router settings and disabling NAT acceleration so that NAT traffic is processed by CPU. That solved all my problems. Youtube and Twitch loads fine over WIFI now.

D M8

Apr 10, 2019
Visit site

I had a similar situation where as I could not connect to my own site for some weird reason. Then After searching for the answer for hours if not days, (could not track the time) finally found a solution. All I did was:
1)open CMD as admin
2)type ipconfig /all
3)copy the Physical address (MAC address)
4)Paste it to your router internet settings IPv4 to clone.

That was my solution. Good luck.

SFCable

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
check the filters or restrictions sections in the config utility. an admin can set certain sites with certain keywords (ie. adult or shopping) or specific websites and all users will be denied access. another thing could be that your network was attacked by something masked as that domain and your router is refusing connections in order to protect you. check the log, it might say stuff like (insert malicious action here) access denied, ip address blocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa