How can I turn off wifi when out of range?

nickdu

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
turn off wifi when out of range

I would like to be able to automatically turn off wifi when I'm out of range of my home network. Is that possible? I see that many people have asked a similar question and it seems they want to do it to save battery life. I want to do it so that my phone is less vulnerable. I don't want it to do any location based stuff or searching for my home wifi so it automatically turns back on. I want to manually have to turn it back on when I get home. Anything like that available?

Thanks
Nick

nickdu

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: turn off wifi when out of range

I took a quick look at both apps you have listed. Llama seems to rely on location information. I have location turned off on my phone unless I need to use maps. So I'm guessing Llama might not work out too well for me. Tasker might work, but in looking over some posts on that it seems the app requires just about all rights. I'm guessing the app does a bunch more than I need. Maybe I need to write my own app. It should be somewhat straightforward to detect when a network connection has been lost. If I can turn off wifi easily enough when this happens I'll be set.

Thanks,
Nick

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: turn off wifi when out of range

Found another app to consider: Smart WiFi Toggler. It does use location, but not GPS. Do you turn off Location because you don't want to use GPS, or are you concerned about privacy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf