How to mute a group text conversation!

Nici G

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I hate group text conversations, especially when it's full of people I don't know replying to everyone on a list.
Unlike gmail, where you can mute a conversation thread in your inbox, no Android phone comes with a mute group text conversation option.

I downloaded the Textra app in order to blacklist spam numbers and found a handy function called "Override Default Settings".

If you long press on the group text conversation and click the 3 vertical dots on the top right corner it gives you 2 options : Override Default Settings, and Blacklist

If you don't want to blacklist your friends and receive messages from them in the future choose Override Default Settings.

This opens a new menu. Click Notifications, and then change Enable Notifications to OFF!

This then puts all future notifications on mute. Hooray, rejoice!
Finally!

Now if only Android would figure out how to include this in their own messaging apps...

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
In Hangouts, go to a group conversation, hit the 3 dots, People & Options, uncheck Notifications. And/or select "silent" for the chat message sound. That's the only messaging app I've used on this phone. Brought to you by Google.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Nici G, i went thru a buncha drama to login just to say THANK YOU!! Group texts have been the bane of my existence and i continuously have to fight to get removed and have thus been highly unsuccessful. i feel downright stupid bc Textra is the app i use and i didn't know this functionality was there. i even downloaded Verizon+ just to use this feature and multitask between the 2 bc Textra is better. You have just saved my sanity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Being new to the Android world (I have the Note 8), I found these posts very helpful. Although I didn't install Textra, I ended up downloading Android Messages from Google. Wow, what a big difference over the default messaging app.

Thank you though

Layarion

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
how do i do this if it's using the android OS default text app? i can't access the group convo from hangouts because it's not in hangouts.

dgpad

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site
You can in Android Messages. Go to convo, 3-dot menu, People & Options. Under General, select Notifications. You can disable entirely, lower the importance (visual disruption and sound, visual but no sound, no visual or sound but still have notification dot, etc)