How do you change the default Android app installation directory?

A

AC Question

I am currently using guides which utilize android sdk (adb) to change Android's default installation directory. (I can't link the guides i'm using because new users can't seem to post links) The instructions say that I need to:

- install Java Development Kit
- install Android SDK
- activate Developer Options for the android device
- open Command Prompt with Administrator privileges
- open "...android-sdk\platform-tools" installation directory (for me it was "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools")
[*]hold SHIFT and right-click anywhere on the folder
- select "Open command window here"
- type in "adb devices"
- type in "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2"
- close Command Prompt

With these steps, apparently I should be able to use my SD card as my device's default installation directory. I need to do this because this tablet does not have a lot of space to download apps onto.

Brand/Model: MJS T2702
Android Version: 5.1.1 Lollipop
Internal Memory: 8GB
External Memory]: 128GB

My problem is that as I follow these directions, when I get to the part of identifying the android devices in CMD (the "adb devices" step),I cannot find any devices. Nothing shows up. Has anyone tried this technique before? I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I have tried the same instructions on my Motorola Moto E and Nexus 7 (2012) but CMD doesn't seem to identify my android devices connected. All three devices are running the same version of Android.

VilleI

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I am not quite sure that I understand what you are trying to accomplish here. Why don't you just go to

phone settings -> storage

And change the default storage there?

To make the adb find your device you need to install the devices adb driver to your computer. Google "[device model] adb driver". After installing the driver you need to possibly restart adb and/or unconnect and then connect the device to the computer.

Posted via the Android Central App

pluupy

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi, sorry should've made an account but here I am.

Actually, that helped! I used an ADB Installer from a google search and it allowed me to get my device identified by adb. (the installer actually said windows didn't install the device driver correctly) Within CMD, I was confronted with an error stating "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2" was incorrect and that I needed to enter "adb shell pm set-Install-Location 2" instead.

After that, I was conflicted with another error "Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Package android does not belong to 2000". According to another search, this is apparently an error related to the device not being rooted. I guess I can't continue from here. I don't really want to root any of my devices.

Last edited:

VilleI

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I just realized you wrote you had 128 gb adb card (edit: i mean sd : D). Are you sure that is not too big for your device?

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think either the Moto E or the Nexus 7 had Micro SD slots so I'm not sure what the purpose of the exercise is.

pluupy

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I didn't think either the Moto E or the Nexus 7 had Micro SD slots so I'm not sure what the purpose of the exercise is.

The motorola moto e supports external storage, but that is irrelevant. Please read my post! I explained that my problem was getting adb to identify any connected android devices which had usb debugging activated. That issue has been resolved already.

I just realized you wrote you had 128 gb adb card (edit: i mean sd : D). Are you sure that is not too big for your device?

It may be possible! That's a good idea. The problem is, this device is a cheap chinese brand. My mother had purchased it from Best Buy i believe for a cheap price and, as most android enthusiasts know, those type of tablets tend to be very cheap.

Still, a machine is an machine. While this device doesn't have a big name brand, it's parts are pretty good and it has a good iteration of android. The only problem I have observed is that the device only has 500MB of RAM. This will hinder the amount of background processes the device is loading alongside active processes for sure.

Anyway, back on topic... While what you say may be true it doesn't seem relevant to my issue in this thread. I am merely trying to adjust Android'a default app installation directory. The SD card hasn't been used at all yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez