Dumb question but if i load my sd card up with stuff will i see a loss in performance

richhh

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about how much stuff i can put on a 16gb micro sd card and i figured i could put most of my music, some movies, and a ton of apps on it but i was wondering will this would slow my phone down or kill my battery life?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You can fill up the media card as much as you want and it won't affect performance, UNLESS you have a corrupt file or something on there. Then it can slow things way down when accessing the memory card. Also certain apps recommend you keep them on internal memory for better performance but they will usually warn you before you move them... example.. Pandora Radio needs to be on the phones memory for their widget to work or Dolphin Browser recommends keeping the app on the phones memory. Other then that.... I wouldn't worry... fill the card up as much as you want.

usernamenumber

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
You can fill up the media card as much as you want and it won't affect performance, UNLESS you have a corrupt file or something on there. Then it can slow things way down when accessing the memory card. Also certain apps recommend you keep them on internal memory for better performance but they will usually warn you before you move them... example.. Pandora Radio needs to be on the phones memory for their widget to work or Dolphin Browser recommends keeping the app on the phones memory. Other then that.... I wouldn't worry... fill the card up as much as you want.
@Cyber, I upgraded the SD card in my droid to 32G a while ago and ever since then, the phone has been almost un-usably slow at times. If this could be due to a corrupt file, is there a simple way to test this, and identify the problem file?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
@Cyber, I upgraded the SD card in my droid to 32G a while ago and ever since then, the phone has been almost un-usably slow at times. If this could be due to a corrupt file, is there a simple way to test this, and identify the problem file?

Its a slow process but taking everything off of the card and slowly adding files back a few at a time until you run into the problem file. Also what kind of card is it? There are a lot of bogus 32gb cards being sold on eBay for really cheap. Make sure you bought the card from a trusted namebrand and seller. There's also different class of cards that will affect the speed. I believe the cards that come with the phone are class 4. The higher the number.. 10 being the highest, will improve speed and performance. Also if you haven't done so yet... reboot your phone after adding anything to the sd card.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Like Cyber said, buy cheap, get cheap.

I use a class 10

ROT, on smaller size SD's, 4gb for example, you can get by with a cheap SD.

As you move up in size, It's wise to sport the extra dolero's and get a better class card.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Dumb question but if i load my sd card up with stuff will i s

I was thinking about how much stuff i can put on a 16gb micro sd card and i figured i could put most of my music, some movies, and a ton of apps on it but i was wondering will this would slow my phone down or kill my battery life?

I can say from personal experience because my phone has such a small amount of internal storage that moving a lot of apps to the card will definitely slow down your boot times. Icons on your home page/pages will take longer to appear. One other place it will be obvious for most people is in the gallery/photo app. Once everything is loaded up, for the most part, I don't see a performance hit. That being said, some apps/games do not run reliably on the card and I can't help but think internal memory will always be faster than external. An app like SD Speed Boost will help. Also, I personally would not buy a memory card for a smartphone or a camera unless it was a class 10. The prices are a lot more reasonable now. Right now I'm using an "old" class 4 8gb card, with almost 5gb of music, 86 pics and 41 apps on it. Soooo, I would say go for it and load it up, just don't be surprised if you see longer boot times, other than that it's all good!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

One other place it will be obvious for most people is in the gallery/photo app. Once everything is loaded up, for the most part, I don't see a performance hit.

I too noticed a performance hit in the default "Gallery" app. I changed to QuickPic, and no more Lag in loading time.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Not battery life. Performance can be affected if you use apps stored on your SD card or access large amounts of data on the SD card. Even with a class 10 SD card the SD card is significantly slower than the internal memory. Also, keep in mind that your SD card can only be read/written as fast as the device supports. It's really difficult to tell you how much of a performance hit to expect but it's not like filling up your PC's hard drive.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Red flag.....

Everyboby knows the difference between internal memory, and external memory.

And everybody I hope, knows that internal memory, due to the direct access pipeline, will always be faster than external memory, due to physical limitations.

Will your PC access data faster, for RAM compared to the hard drive... Of course it will. It has to do with direct access memory.

Phones are not different. You have internal memory, as compared to external memory. Which do you think will access faster. Direct pipeline, or external.

If you compare in ms (milleseconds) which your phone access's faster, direct or external, you will find its pretty much a moot point. If you look at write access, you will find your internal is much faster,Maybe by 20ms.

This is true to any device.

The bottom line, just get a better card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non