I don't see any option to unmount or eject my SD card

PrimePolok

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
as the title says, it seems that the "unmount SD card" or "eject SD card" option is missing for some reason on my Android 11. Has the feature been removed from Android 11? I just want make sure there is no risk of data loss when I remove my SD card from the device. Here is a screenshot of the "Files" app, that should as far as I know have the option there, but it doesn't. I even looked in the settings app but there was nothing like unmount or eject. If anyone can share some insights, it would be greatly appreciated.Screenshot_2023-05-12-01-24-17-05_e5d3893ac03954c6bb675ef2555b879b.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The option to Unmount a card is typically in the system settings under Storage, not the Files app. Did you look there?

Reactions: rvbfan

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's own "My Files" app has the mount/unmount options. But I can't tell if the OP is using that app.

The bottom navigation bar looks like a Samsung, but the file manager app looks different than what I would expect. Any other file manager app would not have those options.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's own "My Files" app has the mount/unmount options. But I can't tell if the OP is using that app.

The bottom navigation bar looks like a Samsung, but the file manager app looks different than what I would expect. Any other file manager app would not have those options.
Agreed, I see the Unmount option in My Files as well -- but I'm pretty sure that screenshot isn't My Files. Looks more like the barebones AOSP file manager (or something based on that).

Then again, the design of the nav bar looks pretty old, so I'm not sure if an older version of My Files looked like that?

PrimePolok

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
The option to Unmount a card is typically in the system settings under Storage, not the Files app. Did you look there?
Hey, I found what I was looking for. It's unlikely but if someone faces the same problem on a similar device, they can go to the app called "Files" by Google. From there, select "SD card"(or anything similar to external storage), click on the three-dot icon in the top left and tap "storage settings". Finally, click on pop-up/unmount/eject or anything that's displayed there. This is the part where I was confused, I never thought they would replace the term "unmount/eject" with something like "pop-up". Anyways, after that anything like "mount" or "SD card" will probably not be visible and I don't know if this is intentional or a bug. They'll probably have to disconnect the SD card like I had to, I did that using the tray ejector pin and then when I put the tray back, the SD card was there. I did it more than once to see if it worked every time.Screenshot_2023-05-12-12-50-59-16_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2~2.jpg

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good find! On my Lenovo Tab M8, the Files by Google app has a button labeled "Eject", so that makes more sense. I've never seen the term "Pop-up" used either!