Issue with fingerprint scanner after TWRP restore

w00ly

May 13, 2016
Visit site
So I got an identical Verizon Note 4 to the one I had. I had both unlocked and rom'd. Then I made a complete TWRP backup of my old phone and attempted to restore it to my new one. Now when I attempt to use the fingerprint scanner I get "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your phone". If I go into the hidden menu, under sensors it says Fingerprint test Version: null

I assumed it was due to the fact that each fingerprint sensor has hardware/software unique to each phone, and that I overwrote this software when I restored from one phone to the other. I attempted to flash back to stock retail bpa1 firmware hoping that maybe it would be automatically restored but no dice, still receiving this error.

Does anyone know how to fix this or have I permanently lost fingerprint functionality with this phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The way to fix it was to restore the TWRP backup you should have from THIS phone that you made before you restored the backup from the other phone. Now about all you can do it ask Verizon to fix it.

w00ly

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Well I did get a little hasty... this was my first day with this phone and I immediately set to unlocking the bootloader then restoring my old phone to it. And everything went really well...except for that. I don't imagine verizon or Samsung will touch it though because I've tripped knox? Guess I'm outta luck

ekeppel

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a really old post, but I found your thread while searching for the solution myself, because I did exactly the same thing as you and ended up with that awful lag and non-working fingerprint sensor. I've managed to fix it though, so I'm sharing the solution which I've posted on XDA here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75293396&postcount=3

Hopefully someone else who is in the same boat will stumble across this and it will be helpful to them.