Fixing My Pixel 7 Fingerprint Sensor

Jx J

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Summary:

1 I tried no end of things with my Pixel 7 and the fingerprint sensor never worked more than 50% of the time.

2 I exchanged it for another Pixel 7. The new sensor is currently working over 85% of the time. Much better.

Thank you to livetovacation60 for pointing me in this direction (post #54).
https://forums.androidcentral.com/threads/fingerprint-reader-is-useless.1056574/post-7146748

The experience of livetovacation60, myself and all the differing reader comments clearly indicate that there is some variation in quality.
That quality variation will explain why some people never have problems and others report terrible performance.

Recommendation:
If your fingerprint sensor is not working reliably, return your phone & get another one.

In the UK we can return items ordered by mail order within 14 days or we can reject defective products within the first 30 days. After 30 days, the manufacturer is entitled to offer a repair. So test the product within the first 30 days if in the UK.
I guess other countries will have some similar consumer protection laws.

Note: With my original Pixel 7, I tried all the recommended fixes. Such as saving multiple copies of a fingerprint, saving it in the dark etc. The only thing that got reliability over 50% was wetting my finger, which I do not want to do.

My new Pixel 7 just works out of the box.

Android makes copying settings from your old phone really easy, so there's no reason not to quickly change a phone that is not working properly.

Last edited: