What is a premium phone charger?

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a mish-mash of accumulated phone chargers,

I recently bought two Nexus 6 and wanted to know if anyone can direct me to the best and smartest phone charger for this phone,

Also; I'm buying two of these Qi chargers; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5289488

(With or without using the Qi charger), I want fastest charge, safest charge where battery doesn't over heat, and is there a smart charger that shuts down and doesn't keep charging after phone reaches 100%?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that phone, so in general, most chargers preform the same. As long as it matches the mAh rating of the OEM charger, you're good. At that point, it's just a question of how many ports you want and looks. I haven't heard of any specific brands to avoid or that stand out as top notch.

The only difference to be concerned with is if your phone can accept Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0. Those charge at higher voltages than the standard 5V, but are also backwards compatible so you don't have to worry about the phone being compatible to use it. If your phone can make use of it, then I'd go that route. If not, then it would just be overkill unless you just want the flexibility and future proofing.

Quick Charge 2.0 and 3.0 are specific designations with their own standards. There are other generic chargers that are labeled something like "fast charging" or "rapid charging." Those are not the same thing and are just higher amp standard chargers. A QC2/3 charger will warm the battery more, but the batteries can handle it and will throttle the charge rate if they get too hot.

All chargers go into a float charge once the phone is full. It will shut off the main charging, but give it a small trickle to keep the battery at 100% and also power the phone. The only thing to know about this is that lithium based batteries don't like being held at a full charge and can accelerate capacity loss. This isn't an issue with the charger, but rather the chemical reactions in the battery itself.

I can't be much help with wireless charging since I haven't dealt with those. I know they use to charge much slower than wired charging, but not sure if that's still the case.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That wireless charger will do the job. However, the fastest charge will be wired. as mentioned above most chargers are the same as long as they are brand name chargers. I'd suggest staying away from non-branded super cheap cords as those could cause damage and are often times not tested for safety.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest staying away from non-branded super cheap cords as those could cause damage and are often times not tested for safety.

Speaking of cables, my opinion is they are all cheap. Just the nature of micro USB, even the so called premium cables. The only brand I'll trust anymore is the Volutz brand on Amazon. They are a little pricy, but they are the only ones I've used that actually last any decent length of time.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Build quality and safety vary wildly in your typical mains (wall) to USB adapters. I've found Belkin is typically decent, the Apple cubes are definitely top notch (and the price shows it), and the Verizon ones are quite well built as well. What you want to watch for is the cheap ones that are likely of Chinese origin (most are, but there good and bad ones coming from China) and may have forged UL or brand markings. If the price sounds to good to be true, it likely is. Pay for quality when you are dealing with line current and buy only from someone you trust. Be safe!

monojackh

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah it's mainly the job from the wireless charger.

A good wireless charger will incorporate with the phone's trickle mode in their power management logic. When the battery power reaches over 80% ( or 90% depends on the make ), it will be in the trickle mode and receive a fraction of the original power input just to keep the phone at near full capacity. Your wireless charger should know that and decrease their output to the minimum.

It won't completely stop charging after your phone reaches 100%. If it does that you'll usually wake up with your phone not fully charged in the morning.