Fast Wireless Charging on older phone

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I have an LG G3 with Android version 6.0. I put a wireless charging case cover on it and have been using it successfully for 2 years with this wireless charger

TYLT VU https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6922245

It never seemed to get hot and charged quickly.

I recently added this WAITIEE Wireless Car Charger to my car. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6922245

I also installed this built-in Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket. https://www.amazon.com/SunnyTrip-Wa...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6922245

Everything seems to work as it should except the charging. The phone gets hot. Especially when using GPS. The phone even overheated a couple times and went into a cool down mode. Something it has never done. I also noticed even with all the heat it doesn't charge well at all. It shows as charging, but battery percentage continues to go down.

One last thing regarding the Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket. If I plug it into my phone directly (no wireless charging) it appears to work OK.

Of all the reviews on the WAITIEE Wireless Car Charger virtually no one reported their phones getting hot. Can someone help me figure this thing out?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Phones can get pretty warm during navigation, so the typical mild heat generated during charging can get amplified even further if you do it while navigating. On top of that, a phone in a car during the day gets exposed to direct sunlight, which can heat the phone up even more (especially if it's in the warm months -- are you in the northern or southern hemisphere?).

Does the phone heat up significantly using those chargers even when it's not actively navigating and isn't exposed to sunlight?

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello B. Diddy,

I live outside Nashville, TN, but I really doubt what I am seeing has anything to do with that. I have have plenty of experience with this phone in the car using USB wired charging both during Summer and Winter. It seems specific to this wireless charger. It gets hot charging even when I am not navigating. The odd thing is that when I check periodically on the charge of the battery it shows little or no charge change. Sometimes still losing charge. This, even when i am not navigating.

Once I pulled the plug to the wireless charger and plugged in the standard USB charging cable. The phone cooled down and charged. So, I have one wireless charger at home that works fine with the phone while the one in the car does not. I wondered if maybe the charge coils were not aligning well. They appear pretty close, but that is by eyeball.

I downloaded a battery charge monitor app. i will compare the rates between the 2 chargers and wired.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I've had that experience before, where one wireless charger seemed to cause more heat than others. I assume it has to do with poor design, so you probably just have to abandon that charger that's causing the heat.:-\