Android in Europe

RiosMom

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
We were planning to take our Droid to Croatia, Italy, and Germany and our local Verizon provider told us not to bother, that we won't be able to get phone service there with the Droid. Huh? Is this for real? Is there a workaround? Appreciate help, we're newbies.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, They are "partially correct. I suspect that is you don't have a good plan with Verizon, it may not work.

If it's a GSM phone, you should be able to swap out sim cards for a local sim card. A lot cheaper for SMS.

If your phone is a Tri-band, or Quad-band, you will have no problems, although Tri-band american phones will operate on the lower frequency for Europe, which means don't expect optimum signal. But it works.

Also, to use your phone on another providers sim card, you will have to unlock it. Not a big problem, as you should be able to find the info on the site.

Reactions: RiosMom

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Check with Verizon, and see if they have international roaming. But remember, turn off all your Data services (auto updates, etc). You don't want to be killed by roaming charges.

The big thing, is that it is GSM, or I believe CDMA. And the phones frequencies. If it.s GSM, unlock it. Keep in mind, the last time I ever had to do this, was 6 years ago. Maybe things have changed. Since then, as I live in Moscow, all phones are unlocked, so I never had to worry about it.

Reactions: RiosMom

RiosMom

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! We're a technologically challenged, but totally willing to give it a try! ANy thoughts on taking a Barnes & Noble NC with us to use foir e-mail. We realize it's only useable with Wifi, but we only want it for emergencies.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! We're a technologically challenged, but totally willing to give it a try! ANy thoughts on taking a Barnes & Noble NC with us to use foir e-mail. We realize it's only useable with Wifi, but we only want it for emergencies.

WiFi is the same about everywhere. McDonalds in East Europe has free WiFi as do most beer pubs and such. You just have to locate them.