Universal unlocked?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are currently on Sprint, but are considering a move to another carrier. I'd like to upgrade soon and am looking into getting a device that I could take with me from Sprint to whatever other carrier we choose. I know the Nexus 6P and Pixel devices will work on any major carrier....but other than the Nexus devices and the Pixels, are there any other phones out there are considered "Universal Unlocked" here in the US?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are currently on Sprint, but are considering a move to another carrier. I'd like to upgrade soon and am looking into getting a device that I could take with me from Sprint to whatever other carrier we choose. I know the Nexus 6P and Pixel devices will work on any major carrier....but other than the Nexus devices and the Pixels, are there any other phones out there are considered "Universal Unlocked" here in the US?

Apple iPhones
Moto X Pure Edition (third gen)
Moto G (fourth gen)

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple iPhones

Well...true, but not entirely true.

Currently:
iPhone 7 is only available by selecting a specific carrier (no sim-free option).

iPhone 6s appears to be available sim-free for any carrier.

iPhone SE appears to be available sim-free, but only for T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon
The SIM-free iPhone comes without a wireless contract commitment or carrier financing. It doesn’t come with a nano-SIM card for iPhone SE. And because it’s unlocked, it isn’t tied to one carrier, so you can get a nano-SIM from any supported carrier, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon in the United States. The SIM-free iPhone SE is not compatible with Sprint’s network. To use iPhone SE with Sprint, you need to select Sprint as your carrier when you purchase your iPhone.

Strange...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Motos should work on both ATT and TMO. I use the MXPE on TMO. On TMO, it stays unlocked. No carrier crap via SIM. Some of the Apples seem to have antenna problems in certain areas.
If you want TMO, you need to see if phone can do wifi calling and use band 12.

I just read the Verizon will add their custom apps if you install a SIM. This was in response to the fact the Verizon agreed to all updates for the Pixel phones as soon as Google put them out. V has always lagged in updating certain phones so it was an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty