Come on!!

candroid90

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just read that Apple won it's case against HTC.:mad: This is bad news for us. Now Apple will be emboldened to file similar injunctions against every other Android phone manufacturer.:'( HTC said they plan to appeal, hopefully it turns out ok. :-\

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter, they will attack every manufacturer and are bound to win a few of them.

What's scary is how google isn't making a noticeable effort to protect their oems from this. I hope they have something in the works.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well its not THEIR oem's. Google just makes the software for the phones, not the hardware. Since it is only a hardware infringment in the lawsuit, android itself is still safe. Though the hardware might be taking a hit, i would rather the hardware take a hit like this rather then the software and Google be forced to make a change or something in the android software due to apple.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Patent wars bounce back and forth. It will get appealed, and if HTC loses, they'll settle. HTC also has patent disputes with Apple. Regardless of outcome, HTC will continue to make Android devices because it will still net them a profit.

My prediction... within the next 2 maybe 3 years (I'd say 1 year but things just don't move that fast), there will be a major overhaul of the patent system as it relates to intellectual property. My guess is that Google is gambling on the reform and will string everything out until it happens.

But what do I know... I'm just a Joe Schmoe gadget geek. :)

Reactions: candroid90

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC is considered the most vulnerable legally of the Android partners because it lacks a robust portfolio of patents that act as a potential shield. Earlier this month, HTC purchased S3 Graphics, largely because of a collection of patents that the ITC administrative law judge recently determined were used illegally by Apple.

So really this will work out for HTC

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
HTC is smart, they will somehow turn this against Apple.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Gizmodo reporting that the patent they were granted could, theoretically, ban the import of ALL android phones. The infraction is system level, not Sense.

I'll say it again, it IS Google's responsibility to help protect the android oems. Especially if google didn't have the intelligence to check if they had any proprietary (coughOraclecough) code or patented functions. This is all because of the horrible US patent system, but that is no excuse.

Apple is scared, and their plan to slowly pick off the individual manufacturers is a good one. Especially if the manufacturers receive no help from on high, and google is happy placing joke bids on patent portfolios that could offer much needed legal protection.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Gizmodo reporting that the patent they were granted could, theoretically, ban the import of ALL android phones. The infraction is system level, not Sense.

I'll say it again, it IS Google's responsibility to help protect the android oems. Especially if google didn't have the intelligence to check if they had any proprietary (coughOraclecough) code or patented functions. This is all because of the horrible US patent system, but that is no excuse.

Apple is scared, and their plan to slowly pick off the individual manufacturers is a good one. Especially if the manufacturers receive no help from on high, and google is happy placing joke bids on patent portfolios that could offer much needed legal protection.

Exactly. This threatens all Android phones and they're manufactures, and Google needs to step in. Now. Apple is petrified of Android, and rather then put up with the competition and try to innovate they have chosen to take the low road and try to sue Android manufactures out of existence. Google needs to do something of they will succeed.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

IMHO, The silence from Google is part of a strategy between Google and HTC. HTC's next step will be to appeal, which will string it out another couple years. If in the event HTC loses the appeal, then HTC will push for a stay of the injunction based on the point that Apple isn't enforcing their patent on manufacturers of other platforms who also technically violate the patents.

Google has basically determined that it would be cheaper for them to allow the patent trolls to continue to stack up their lawsuits to an overly obscene level, couple it with the consortium (which pretty much constitutes every single competitor to Google in the mobile industry) that made a very public move to prevent Google from competing in the mobile market, then drop a huge chunk-o-change (but still less than funding all the individual battles combined) to argue anti-competitive practices. Which would then string out the issues even longer in the courts.

By the time it's all over, I'm relatively confident there will have been a significant change to the US Patent system as pertains to intellectual property. The issue of patents isn't specific to the mobile industry either. Apple and Microsoft both are starting to back themselves into a corner as they're both starting to look like they're about to lose some key patent disputes, since to win some of their disputes, they'd have to admit defeat in others.

Then too, HTC has some new patents now that can really put a dent in Microsoft and their Direct X technology, as well Apple has already been found to be infringing upon those same patents. I'm relatively confident Google will be contributing funds to ensure HTC doesn't have to foot the bill to argue those patents in court against them. There will be some serious negotiating over previous disputes I'm sure.

Damn.. I started this reply with a point in mind... but I lost my train of thought. Oh well. :shrug:

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I will say I was a HUGE iPhone fan until one day I wanted to try Android (got bored to death of iOS and it's childish simplicity). I still will only use a Mac at home for my computer but Apple is really starting to lose any credibility in my book.

They are scared sh*tless of HTC and Google as well as others and rather than continue improving their idiodic OS they would rather sue companies for making a rectangular phone. All they are causing is consumers to possibly get screwed in the long run and making themselves look like greedy dbags who just want to own the market rather than share it thus giving consumers great products.

I find it funny they sue for copyrights and then steal Androids notification implementation. Weird how that stuff works. I will NEVER buy another iPhone again and I will continue to support Google and Android. Eff you Apple!!!